Stutter

Simon smirked as Alec stuttered to find the words that were lost on his lips. To see the supposedly fearless, brave warrior stutter whenever the warlock was around was oddly amusing. As much as he loved to see Alec stumble over his own tongue, it was also sad to watch. Even he wasn't that bad and that was saying a lot.

"M-Magnus. Maybe we should g-go back and regroup. S-see if Jace managed to catch the-the demon," Alec sheathed his seraph blade and watched in awe as Magnus hovered a hand over the brick wall next to him, hand blue with magic. "Magnus? Did you-"

"I heard you, Alexander. As did all 34 cats in the surrounding alleyway. Find anything, vampire?" Magnus' hand ceased to glow once Simon jumped down from the roof above them. "Even my magic has limits. Enhanced hearing isn't one of them."

Simon shook his head. "Couldn't hear or see a thing. Alec's stuttering ruined my concentration. Thanks a lot, stutterer."

Alec glared at him. "I didn't stutter. If I did, it's because it's cold outside and I didn't wear a proper jacket-"

"Jacket. Yeah okay. Keep lying to yourself, big guy. I notice it all the time when you're around Magnus. You get all googly eyed and suddenly you're the heart eyes emoji incarnate. I'm dead. Not stupid," Simon smirked as Alec broke away from their glaring contest. "I win."

"We weren't having a staring contest, vampire. You're so annoying...." Alec grumbled under his breath.

Magnus sighed hard enough for his breath to come out as smoke in the cold air. "Now, children. Do I have to separate you two? Put you in the corner until you're ready to work out your issues?"

Simon snorted at this whereas Alec scowled and took an arrow out from his quiver and notched it in the string of his bow. "Aw come on, Alec. Where's your sense of humor?"

"I don't have one," Alec spoke at the same time as Magnus said "He doesn't have one."

Simon shrugged. "Alrighty then. I'm going to assume you two are at that stage in your relationship now where you talk at the same time and finish each other's sentences?"

"No," Alec and Magnus said at the same time, glancing at each other.

Simon snorted again. "I'd comment on that but it's actually kind of cute-" He froze, whipping around, his teeth bared and hissing like a snake.

"What is it?" Alec was suddenly beside him, bow raised and ready for a fight.

"Not sure. Doesn't smell human. Or like any of the Downworlders I've ever smelled. I think it's a demon."

Alec took a step forward. "Stay here, vampire. I'll handle this."

"Um, excuse me. But I can handle this myself, thank you very much. I smelled it first," Simon hissed.

"I trained for this first. Remind me again how long you've been a vampire?" Alec snapped.

Magnus sighed heavily and walked past them towards where the demon was. A Shax demon was skittering around in the alley not far from where the boys were arguing and if they were to make any sudden, loud noises it would've came out and attacked them.

"Hello there, gorgeous. You're a big one, aren't you?" He rubbed his hands together, sparking blue flames from his palms. "I always wanted to set a Shax on fire. I heard it smells just like barbecued chicken...."

The Shax demon hissed and made a jump for Magnus. Magnus, always prepared for the worst, shot his hand up in the air and let the blue flames incinerate it. It most definitely didn't smell like barbecued chicken.

Alec and Simon ran around the corner behind him, surprised to see the charred bits of demon scattered on the pavement.

"You got it?" Alec asked.

"Well I had to. You two were bickering amongst yourselves so someone had to get the job done. Was that the last one?"

"Clary said there were six of them. That was the sixth so yeah. I say we're done. We kicked ass! Up top!" Simon raised his hand for a high five but Alec ignored him. "You never fail at making me feel awkward, Alec. Not once."

"Poor you. Didn't get a high five. Must be tragic for you," Alec put his bow away and looked around. "I need to head back to the institute and report this. The Clave will want to know that demons have been running amuck."

Magnus purred. "I love when you talk professional. Gives me goosebumps."

Simon grinned as Alec sputtered in search of words as Magnus kissed the side of his neck. "Well I'm gonna go. I feel like I'm intruding on something intimate here. Unless you want me to stay-"

"No," the warlock and Shadowhunter said at the same time.

"Okey dokey then. Have fun doing....whatever. I'm gone....I guess."

When Magnus finally looked up from Alec's neck, Simon was gone. "I thought he'd never leave. He's like medicine. Only good in small dosages."

Alec grunted. "Y-yeah. He is. I agree."

"Alexander, did I ever tell you that you're absolutely adorable when you stutter?" Magnus gently nibbled on Alec's collarbone which was just peeking out from the collar of his shirt. "Do I make you stutter?"

"N-no. No. You d-don't."

Magnus chuckled. "Let's try that again. I asked you......do I make you stutter?"

Alec groaned as Magnus slipped a hand up under his shirt and over his back, clawing his nails down his skin. "Yes. Oh, by the angel. Yes."

Magnus smiled. "That's the answer I wanted to hear."