Chapter Two

I was deep in sleep when suddenly I'm shaken awake.  

I moan, "What?" as I try to come too.  I feel a hand shake me again.  I'm more awake this time.

"WHAT?!" I ask. 

When I open my eyes, Taylor stares back at me with ragged breathes, beads of sweat on his forehead and a look of pure adrenaline in his eyes.  The worried expression on his face, gets my attention and I am quickly sitting up to face him.  I watch as he tries to catch his breath.  It's as if he was in a rush to get here.  

There are few who have access to Axel and I's private house.  Few who know the location really.  Our property is secured by a perimeter of armed guards.  If you make it past them, our  house is secured with passcode and finger print access - something required by the royal security detail.  Taylor and a select few have access to our house with the strict instructions to only come unannounced and uninvited if there's been an emergency.  His presence here tonight cannot be good. 

I start to hear the beat of my heart in my ears.  I release the breath I must of been holding and try to form a sentence.  "Axel..." I start but can't continue.  The possibilities are running through my head one by one.  The panic sets in.

Taylor can see the fear in my eyes, and he's quick to put his hand on my shoulder.  "No, Axel is fine.  He's safe." 

I release my shoulders in relief but am soon to furrow my eyebrows.  "What is it then Taylor?" 

He swallows hard, "Luna, there's been an attack on the River Side pack." 

"By who?"  I question, now I'm the one reaching for him.  I place my hand on the side of his bicep, my luna instincts kicking in.

"Rouges." 

"What's the damage?" 

"Almost the whole pack was burned down." 

"Okay," 

"What's the order Luna?" He asks. I take pause to gather my rapid thoughts.  With no avail, I give Taylor an answer, "Give me a minute, I need to get dressed. Call a meeting at the palace, in 20 minutes." 

"Alright," Taylor says with a nod and is quick to leave. I'm careful to move the sleeping puppy off of my legs.  Not entirely sure how he managed to stay asleep during this incident. 

After a quick shower and change out of my pajamas, I drive over to the palace; taking the underground entrance when I get near.  The last thing I want is to alarm any of the pack with my rushing car going past in the middle of the night. 

"Luna," the guards say with bowed heads as they open the doors for me. I go to the conference room, and open the door. I take Axel's spot at the head of the table.  I am overwhelmed by Axel's scent radiating off the chair.  God I miss him.

The last few personnel enter the room and take their seats.  Soon- many pairs of eyes are on me.  All high ranked members of the kingdom. 

"Someone tell exactly what happened."  I say, and watch each person intently.  As I meet their gazes, they are quick to look away.  A sign of respect.  Showing I am there superior. 

Krit, Axel's Beta, coughs and is the first one to speak. "Luna, approximately two hours ago we received a phone call from the River Side pack giving details about an attack on their pack by rouges-" 

I'm quick to cut Krit off, "Why didn't anyone come and get me sooner?" 

"We spent the first chunk of time confirming the reports were legitimate.  Then tried to get hold of Axel - when that was unsuccessful we came straight to you." Taylor explained to me. 

I take a deep breath and gather my thoughts.  "This is my kingdom.  I am Queen Luna and I have the right to know what is going on with my kingdom.  Do not make these mistakes again."  With the last sentence, all the heads in the room bow in submission.  My wolf swells with pride.  

I take a breath pause and then continue on about the incident.  "Remind me who the Alpha of River Side is." I say. 

"Alpha Stone." Taylor says. 

"I don't think I'm familiar with him." I say quietly. 

"What's your plan of action Luna?" 

"We are going to help them rebuild.  Once the pack area has been declared secure, send the guards in training. Bring the wounded, and homeless here.  We'll house them in our East pack house for now." I say with confidence.  "Meeting dismissed." I say and walk out and close the door behind me.  My back hits the door and I release a breath slow, trying to calm my heart. 

I feel someone's presence approaching me and turn to see Axel's mother and Queen Mother, Alice walking towards me.  She smiles warmly when she sees me looking at her.  "Carter," 

"Yes, Alice?"  

"Are you alright?" Concern growing on her face.  The permanent creases on her forehead from all the years of worry.

I nod my head. "It's going to be a long night, that's all."  I find myself staring at my feet, thoughts swirling in my head. 

"I felt that way too when I first became Queen."  Alice comments, I look up to meet her gaze.  

"Does it get easier?" I ask sincerely.  The smile returns to her face and her hand reaches out to take mine.  

With a quick shake of her head, she replies "No, my dear.  It never gets easy.  Not when you care so much about your kingdom."  She reaches up and tucks a piece of fallen hair behind my ear.  Her hand returns to grasping mine. "But that's what a good Queen looks like...one that loves unconditionally and never-ending.  She is the Queen of the people."  She squeezes my hands before releasing them. 

I break eye contact once again, "If you excuse me, I want to get on top of this before the media has a frenzy." I say and walk down to Axel's office. 

I open the door, and his scent hits me like a ton of bricks. I feel my eyes start to water with memory of him. I turn on the light, and close the door.  I make my way over to sit behind his desk.  A maid started a fire in the room so it was all cozy.  When I sit in his chair, I'm faced with a picture of myself and Sebastian.  I sigh as I find myself reaching for the picture frame.  I trace it with my hands, "A Queen of the people, eh?" 

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at the door.  I clear my throat, "Come in." 

The door opens and Taylor is sticking his head into the office.  He holds up a file folder, "Thought you might want to read up on the River Side pack." 

I smile; nodding my head and gesturing for him to put the file on the desk before me.

"Taylor, I have no idea what I'm doing." 

"It's sure doesn't seem that way. You did good in there." 

"Thanks," I say with a smile. 

"Can I get you anything?" 

"No, I don' t think so." I say and Taylor leaves. I sigh, and breath in Axel scent, and soon I find my eyes starting to close, and I'm over took with darkness.