Chapter 14

Present day

-       So that Andrew boy, - dr. said after putting yet another spoon full of rice in his mouth – what’s his story?

Gee, this man knows how to be subtle.

-         You know, I try really hard to constantly not look like a victim and you just keep making my job even harder. – I tell him.

-      Well, my job is to make you understand that you don’t have to keep protecting yourself from the outside world as if at any minute now, it will crush you like a bug. – he said casually, filling his plate again. – Come now, spit it out.

I sighed.

-         Very well. Did you know I was adopted? – I asked frontally.

He looked at me with a strange look.

-        I did. But how is this important? – and for a minute he forgot about his food.

-          Well, I actually just came to know last year. Apparently my real parents left me in the porch of my house with only a carrycot, a blanket, the clothes I was wearing and a little note. – I paused, looking at my hands. – And they never tried to contact me again.

-      I am sorry for that, Rose. Your mother had told me about it, and I should have probably asked you how you felt about it long ago now.

I shook my head.

-         No, I’m glad you didn’t, it’s not something I feel very comfortable talking about. – he nodded. - You see, the thing about Andrew is that he used to be my best friend in the whole world for as long as I can remember.

He seemed surprise.

-     We grew up together. We used to tell each other that someday we would run away together, find an abandoned castle and live there for the rest of our days. – I never thought I would feel so nostalgic remembering this. – I guess we never did.

-          So, what happened? – dr. had completely forgot about his chicken and was staring directly at me.

-          Andrew loathed Harry more than anything. And I did too, so it was just another thing we had in common. – I was playing with my food now. – But when we went to high school, we changed classes and I stayed in the same one as Melanie, Emma and, well Harry. And I promised him that nothing was going to change, that we would be best friends forever. – I had to stop for a second, why the hell was I so emotionally lately? – But I guess I broke my promise.

Dr. Wilson grabbed my hand across the table and when I looked at him, he gave me a little smile, encouraging me to go on.

-      When I started to hang up more with Emma, Melanie and even the boys, I kept telling him that he was still very important to me but he wouldn’t believe me so, he slowly started to hang up with these guys. – I said. – Some were older and others were the same age and they had well, wrong habits. – I looked at him, hoping that he would understand by himself.

He didn’t.

-         They changed him. He would never admit it but I knew he was starting to do drugs. – he was surprised. – And when I realized I was starting to lose my best friend, I tried to show him that I still trusted him. So I told him my biggest secret, I told him how I had found this note in my mum’s drawer and how my parents had told me I was adopted.

He put his hands on his lap and said:

-         That was very brave and selfless of you. – he said honestly.

I nod already knowing he would say something like that.

-        Yeah that’s what I thought. At the time. – I looked at him. – Until this one day, when I got to the corridor where my next class was going to be and I saw Harry and Andrew arguing and I could’ve sworn they were about to start a fight. I made them stop and in that moment the bell rang and people started to fill the corridor. – I was looking at my hands again remembering that moment perfectly. – And so I pushed Harry to my side, so we could go to class. I guess I hurt Andrew in that moment and I think he thought I had chosen Harry instead of him, or maybe he was just angry, I don’t know... the thing is that what he said next broke my heart in a million pieces and I’ve never been able to forgive him since.

He shrank and I looked at him.

-          Rose, what did he say? – he was so absorbed at my story.

-          He almost shouted actually. He said: “And then you wonder why your parents left you here? Why they wanted you to be taught by Mr. And Mrs. Evans? Well, I tell you: it was because they wanted you to become this person, this shallow and petty person. They wanted you to be just like the rest of these people, ordinary.”

I looked at dr. Wilson and I didn't really know what he was thinking. I guess he was just thinking wisely on whatever he might say next because maybe this wasn't as dramatic as I pictured myself but well, it kinda of got stuck with me.

-          And this was how the entire school came to know that I was adopted. He tried to apologise himself later, but I couldn’t bear even looking at him so we just became strangers.

Dr. Wilson nodded and I could feel like this was the first time he actually started to saw me like a mature and strong young woman.

-          I tried to forgive him, I did. But I just couldn’t. I couldn’t forgive him for breaking my trust, for humiliating me and for hurting me. He just had made me feel what he promised me he would never do... – I looked at him. – Ashamed of whom I was. 

     Hii roses! So again, I'm reaaaally excited about all of those reads but yeah, I was kind of wishing you'd give it some votes and comment telling me what you think. I'll keep posting tough. Love you all <3