Chapter 22

October 3rd

It had been two whole days since I talked to Harry. I was sure he’d been avoiding me since there was no way he could not hear me call him at the end of our shared classes, and why in the world would he sleep at home and leave his house slippers behind? Something was wrong and I was going to find out what, tonight. Because we had to do rounds and there was no way he could run from that, so I just sat at the sofa, waiting for him to come.

I was almost falling asleep when I heard someone knock at the door. I looked at my watch and it was time to go do the rounds so I figured Harry had forgotten his key although I did not recall locking the door. But when I opened the door, it wasn’t who I expected to see.

-          Niall? What are you doing here? – I asked him.

He looked at me confused.

-          Didn’t Harry tell you he asked me to cover him up? He told me he couldn’t do it today. – he told me.

-          What?! What do you mean he “couldn’t do it”? That’s ridiculous, are you even a Prefect? – I asked quite irritated even though it wasn’t his fault.

-          Yes, I am. Did nobody tell you? I’m doing Monday’s rounds now. – he said and he looked excited at the idea.

Poor boy, he had no idea what he had signed for.

-          No Niall, nobody told me anything because it seems now that people think I don’t need to be informed of anything and I should just figure everything out by myself! – I said quite angry.

-          Wow. – he said frightened by me. – Maybe I should go and make the round by myself…

I sighed.

-          No, it’s okay. I’m sorry. – I looked up at him. – Actually I’m glad you’re here because there’s something I would like to talk with you.

He nodded seeming to already know what I was about to say.

-          Is about Melanie, isn’t it? – he asked and I nodded. – Come on, we’ll talk while making sure there aren’t any sleep walkers around school. – he said and I went with him.

-          Are you sure I don’t need to worry about it? – I asked while we were walking down a corridor on the 2nd floor.

-          Yes. I mean it, she’s just… well she’s – I looked up at him and he seemed to be thinking really wisely on the words he might choose. – She’s being protective, that’s all. – and he seemed satisfied with it.

I looked down and wondered what Melanie could be so protective about. She had nothing to fear, I thought.

-          Do you think I should go talk to her? – I asked.

-          No. – he said promptly. – No, she just needs some time away. – he tried to remedy himself. 

-          Okay, but can you tell her I miss her and that she might not need me but I really need her? – I said to him.

He gave me a little laugh.

-          I will, I promise.

We kept walking in silence when I reminded something that it could not be forgotten.

-          You really have to tell me what’s going on with Harry. – I said to him.

He made a scratchy face as if he just couldn’t tell me.