Chapter 25

Present day

We passed through a little cafe with wooden tables and chairs outside and Dr. went on to bring some ice creams for both of us while I waited for him, sited. When I looked across the street I saw a middle aged woman changing the flowers she had put in the rail of her store in the memory of those who have passed. She looked at them and then looked straight at me through the glass of the window, and I felt like she was trying to share it with me. Her pain and her sorrow and it just felt horribly wrong since I couldn’t feel it because if I’d let myself feel, all I’d feel would be a dreadful pain and I didn’t know if I was ready for that since I’d chosen to block it all. So I just looked away.

Dr. came back with the ice cream and sat in my front, I gave him a little smile but I guess he saw through the facade.

-          Rose, what happened? – he asked.

I sighed.

-          Maybe we should try the medication; it’s just that... – I looked at the sky, so I wouldn’t have to face him. – to think that I may never live these little things again, i-it’s just doesn’t feel right and I have this weight in my chest. – I was starting to babble.

-          Rose, - he stopped me – we’ve talked about this. These memories are a part of who you are and no matter what happens next you should remembered them with tenderness and not try to forget them as a nightmare.

I nodded although I wasn’t 100% sure about it, but then again, what choice did I have?

October 24th

-          Hello beautiful. – James said after grabbing my waste and kissing me.

-          Hello stranger. – I said.

-          Yeah, I know I’ve been a little out these past few days but the coach has been killing me!

-          I know, I know. – I put my hands on his chest. – I just miss you, you know? We barely hang out anymore. – I said to him.

-          Oh come now Rose, I even took you out last week. Didn’t you like the film?

I rolled my eyes.

-          I did. But like you said, that was a week ago. – I took my hands off his chest.

He sighed and looked around fishing new ideas to help this out and that’s when he saw a poster.

-          How about I take you to Halloween’s ball huh? It would be pretty cool.

I smiled at him; I actually really liked the idea.

-          Yeah sure, I will be your date. I was kind of wondering when you’d ask actually. – and I got closer to him again.

-          Great, I just hope the coach will let me off that night. – he said and I sighed.

-          There’s a highly chance that I will be dancing alone with a cup of punch isn’t there? – I asked.

-          No... well, a small chance, but I will try, okay? – he said and I looked down, but he grabbed my chin. – You know it’s not my fault and I really want the spot.

-          Why is it so important to you anyway? – I asked with a slow voice and he sighed sounding annoyed.

-          I’ve explained it to you already. When we’re on competition, Harry is the last one to swim so at the final seconds, it’s all up to him. I want that, I want them to feel like it was me, the one who gave it all at the last armful and made us win. I want to be the captain.