Chapter 6. Games

You bit your lip as you edged closer to the door. It was almost noon. You had been out here for almost an hour now just trying to gain the courage to knock. What would this be like? Could it all just be some cruel prank before he slaughters you?

"(Y/N), what are you doing out here?" You whirled around to face General Hux. He had a confused and slightly suspicious expression. His arms were crossed and he looked behind you at the door. "These are Kylo Ren's chambers..." His eyebrows raised in questioning and you felt your cheeks grow hot.

"I uh... Well, I know." You struggled to explain. "He told me to, uh..." The Generals eyes widened in shock and he nodded.

"Oh! I see well, uh-"

"No! General it's not like that I-" He backed up a bit. And held up a hand.

"No, no, it's fine. I understand. He glanced back at the door uneasily. "You, uh, have fun." He hurried away and you slapped a hand to your face.

Great. Just great now my boss thinks I'm boning Kylo Ren. What else is new?

You cursed yourself internally and gripped your hair in frustration. You heard a booming laugh from behind you.

"I think allowing the General to believe that we are engaging in sexual matters would be easier than trying to explain that I am embarking on a friendship." Kylo chuckled.

You blushed and entered his room with him closely behind. He gestured for you to sit on the couch against the wall. He sat down in a chair across from you, a table in the middle of you both. His presence was unnerving. And yet you felt like you were getting used to being around him. You still felt afraid, especially with him constantly carrying around that lightsaber, but you had a feeling he wouldn't hurt you.

"So uh." You glanced around the room. "Nice place..." The walls, floor, and even bed were black. Windows sat behind his large bed with tight black curtains covering them. The only light was artificial.

Wow. Very homey.

He chuckled and leaned back in his chair.

"I prefer black to other colors." He said and shifted his legs. "Care to play a game of sabaac?" He asked and pressed a button on the wall. A deck of cards slid out and he placed them on the table. Your eyes widened in surprise and he cocked his head. "Not a fan?" He asked and you quickly shook your head.

"No, no, I enjoy the game. I'm just surprised that you- that uh- that you-" You struggled to explain, choosing your words carefully.

"-that I like card games?" He said with an amused tone. You nodded with a slight smile on your face.

"Pretty much." You leaned over to pick up the deck and started to shuffle. "So what are we playing for?" You quickly shuffled the cards with several tricks Brott had taught you.

"Hmmm," He seemed to consider your question. "How about, if I win you tell me why you approached me before the party. If you win you can ask me any question you like." He proposed and you shook your head.

"That's not good enough." You tapped the side of your head absentmindedly. "... If I win, you take off your helmet." You smirked and he remained silent. After a few seconds he nodded.

"That's fair. But you are going to lose." You began in your heated battle with Kylo Ren. He was a skilled player and at one point you spoke up and asked him.

"Who taught you how to play?" You asked curiously and he quickly answered.

"My father." He said and changed the subject. You both spent the rest of the game discussing the ship, Hux, and even cracking a few jokes. Finally, to Kylo's evident surprise. You declared that you had won.

"Ha!" You started laughing and he let out a noise of frustration.

"How?!" He said and you kept laughing. "I've never lost!" You gave him a sympathetic look.

"Hey, not everybody can be this good." After a few moments of your laughing he reached up with his gloved hand. He made contact with the mask and a hissing sound let out. With a slow lift of his mask, dark curls began to fall out. Your eyes widened.

Damn.

He had pale skin and a sharp chin. His dark eyes connected with yours for the first time and you instantly felt relaxed. They were warm and brown and comforting. Dark locks framed his face in a cocoon of darkness. Freckles darted across his face in a perfectly imperfect order. Your heart raced and you cursed yourself internally.
It wasn't like you had never seen an attractive man before.

He's not just attractive though. He's gorgeous.

Even his scar, which trailed from his cheek up to his forehead, made him more attractive. You quickly gathered your thoughts and noticed him smirking at you.

"Are you done swooning?" He asked and you scoffed.

"Psh. You're just younger than I expected." It wasn't necessarily a lie. You had expected him to be some old man with yellow eyes and blood on his teeth. Instead he was just a young man with powerful brown eyes.

"Well. Now that that's over, how about another game?" He put together the cards and began to shuffle. You smiled and leaned back in your chair.

"Prepare to lose again."