Chapter 27. Our Ship

Leaving Corellia was hard for both you and Ben. Ben's expression said it all as he gave a strong hug to Chewbacca. 

"When we get to a safe place I'll contact you both." He reassured Maz and Chewie. "We have to stay low for a while, but this is not goodbye." He said with a nod. Chewie moaned and grabbed him in another huge hug. 

"Be safe, child." Maz said with a pat on his hand. "Dont make mistakes." She said with a warning tone. Maz turned to you and gestured for you to kneel down. You took a knee and she adjusted her glasses so that her eyes grew double in size. "Take care of him, (Y/N), you have a great power in you. Like myself, you do not have the Force, but something of greater value." She gave you a light smile and a pat of the shoulder. 

"Thank you, Maz." You said sincerely. You rose to your feet and were immediately lifted off of them in a great hug from Chewie. 

"AAAAaaahhhhhgg" He groaned loudly into your ear. 

"Thank you, Chewie." You said, out of breath. He put you back onto the ground. 

"He says we better invite him to the wedding." Ben said with an amused look on his face. He glanced at Chewie and gave him a quick wink. You smirked at the two of them and headed onto the ship with Ben. With a last wave to Maz and Chewie, you closed the hatch. 

Ben immediately took his seat in the pilot's chair, with you in the copilot's seat. His hands rested on the control panel and the thruster with ease, as if it were made for him. 

"Is the ship okay?" You asked curiously. It had a small bedroom big enough for two people, two storage pods, and a medium sized lounge. Much larger than the X-Wing, but still small enough to be considered "Homey". 

"It needs a bit of work, but nothing I cant do. I think it could work though." He said with a smile in your direction. He began flipping on the controls and wildly pushing buttons. "Alright, I'm going to need you to turn on the 5Z Map and use that to navigate for me, also you'll need to work the weapons if I need them. Oh and-" You laughed and interrupted him. 

"Ben, you're going to have to teach me these things. I'm not an expert like you." He shrugged with a slightly red tint to his cheeks. 

"I'm no expert." He said shyly. "Most of this stuff I just learned from my father." His eyes spaced out for a second and then refocused on you. "But yes, I'll teach you everything. If you're going to be my copilot you have to be taught." He said with a teasing tone. 

After a quick rundown of the basics, Ben took off. The ship made a loud crack as it lurched forward, making Ben cringe. You knew he was enjoying being able to fly a ship, but he wished he could work on it. Corellia became a distant spot on the map and you couldn't help feel sad. Somehow you knew it wouldn't be the last time you'd visit.

"What are you thinking about?" Ben asked, giving you a side glance. You broke into a smile.

"You could've just read my mind and found out." You teased.

"I figured I'd just ask." He said with a small smile. "You never answered."

"About the future I suppose. Where we will go." You explained. "How far away can we go that the First Order won't find us? Or the resistance?" Ben grimaced slightly.

"We don't have to stay in one place. The ship is big enough for the two of us. Eventually I suppose we would need a permanent place, but for now this should suffice." He said slowly.

"Ben, are you asking me to move into this ship with you?" You said with a teasing smirk. He chuckled and interlocked his free hand with yours.

"That's the idea, sweetheart." He gave you a long look as you blushed.

Stars swirled around the Nebula as you propelled further and further from Corellia. As the hours droned on, Ben pushed you to go in the back and sleep a bit. You insisted that you weren't tired and that you'd be fine, only to fall asleep in your chair shortly after.

Days passed. Weeks. The Nebula soon became a comfortable home. During the day you'd gaze at the many planets you passed, telling Ben the name of each one and their history. In school you'd majored in interplanetary knowledge where he had failed miserably. Ben worked tirelessly on the mechanics of the Nebula. After a short while the flickering lights became clearer. The ship ran without grunting or grinding. Even the original atrocious plumbing now worked smoothly.

At night you slept curled up with your lover. You two no longer blushed as you held each other and were open with your affections. He'd whisper how much he loved you with no hesitation.

However, each day came with the ongoing fear that you'd be caught. Every ship that entered the radar was a threat. Every planet that went by made you wary. But the time came when you were running close to empty on your food supply. Ben finally admitted it was time to stop for a grocery run.

"We will land on Dolphus 3, get what we need and get out. We keep our cloaks on and don't speak to anyone that we don't have to." He instructed you.

"We will be fine." You said with a reassuring hand to his cheek.

But you were mostly reassuring yourself.