Chapter 29. That arm gone boi

"Where are we going?" Ben asked quietly. You had pushed him out of his chair and had taken over for the past few hours. Your dominant hand steered the ship while your injured arm lie limb. Ben sat in your seat, shaking in fear and anger. His hands were clasped together and his knuckles were almost purple.

"I don't have a destination, just trying to get us as far away from Dolphus 3 as possible." You said in a shakey voice. "I suppose I can put us on autopilot now." You flipped a switch and turned to look at your lover. "Are you alright?" He nodded and his lip quivered.

"I cant believe I did that." He whispered. His eyes stared at the control panel. "I completely overpowered him." You gave him a small smile.

"You did. It was amazing." He nodded at your statement. Suddenly he snapped out of his haze and looked at your injury.

"How is your arm?" You grit your teeth and avoided looking over at your shoulder.

"I cant feel it." His eyes widened.

"What does that mean?" He asked cautiously. He reached forward and delicately took your hand. You could see his large fingers wrapping around your own, but you felt nothing. Your fingers lay lifeless in his, not even his warmth spreading to you.

"Its not a good sign." You admitted. Sometime in the escape you had wrapped a shirt tightly around your shoulder. The metallic smell of blood filled the air as the shirt became more soiled.

"What do we do?" You shook your head and stood up.

"It don't know yet. I need to look at up close." He followed you as you made your way into the common area. You grabbed a medical kit and started unwrapping your makeshift bandage. The shirt had adhered to the wound with the blood as a glue. The slight ripping sound of separating the two materials made your cringe. However no pain accompanied the task. Ben sat next to you and watched as you finally peeled back the remaining material.

Damn they’d really got you. The blaster had taken a good chunk out of your arm. The flesh was pulsing and blood continued flowing freely. The exposed bone was black from the charring heat. Ben stared with fearful eyes as you bandaged your arm properly with the contents of the medical kit.

“W-will it heal?” He picked up the bloodstained shirt in his hand and threw it into a nearby trash bin. You gulped and shook your head.

“Not unless we had something that could generate artificial flesh to seal the wound.” You sighed. “And the only place that has something like that is the First Order.” He sat back down next to you and put his hand on your thigh.

“Then what do we do?” His voice shook as if he already knew the answer. You put the supplies back in the box and avoided his gaze.

“I-I might need you to amputate it…” Ben’s jaw dropped.

“How will you- What will you- No!” He gripped the side of his head tightly and stared at your arm.

“It won’t be too bad. It’s not my dominant hand.” You offered up. “And im sure we can find someone who can make me a nice prothstetic.” He shook his head and laced his fingers in your uninjured hand.

“Is there any other way?” You shook your head and glanced at your shoulder.

“I have no feeling or sensation in it. The amount of flesh removed was too great. At this point its just…dead. If I leave it on it might get infected, thus hurting me in the long run.” You unhooked your fingers from Ben’s and ran your fingers along your dead arm. It felt like you were touching another person. The arm no longer felt anything. The blaster had probably taken several nerves with it.

“Can we just wait? Just a little while to see if it gets better?” Ben pleaded. You sighed and nodded.

“Yes I suppose. I need to make sure I change the bandage regularly.” You knew it wouldn’t get better. You were in the middle of the galaxy with no medical attention, the arm had no hope.