Chapter 15. A Groom without a Bride

Thank you all so much for the kind comments!

When you reached the sanctuary planet, you got together with some other technicians. With their collaboration, you all deduced that the resistance must have figured out how to cloak themselves past the First Order's radar. No one had seen them coming. Just like when you had checked your holopad, to everyone it appeared silent around the base.

Your theory was that they had figured out how to stop at light speed. If this was accurate that would mean the resistance could show up spontaneously in places in a matter of seconds without being detected until it was too late. You had seen reports of people landing at light speed and you guessed that it could be potentially possible to stop abruptly if given the right mod on a ship.

Another theory was that they had achieved ultimate cloaking and had been surrounding the base for many hours before the attack. This was supported by the knowledge that many sleep cells had been housed unknowingly. Technicians, maintenance workers, stormtroopers, the resistance spies took many forms. Even a captain of a whole fleet of specialized stormtroopers had been confirmed a spy.

General Hux's personal idea was that the resistance spies hidden inside the First Order had disarmed the detection systems, allowing the resistance Pilots to just fly up with ease. He also suggested some sort of virus that could have been implanted inside the computers. You shivered at the thought. If the resistance could develop such viruses against the First Order then they had a huge advantage.

After many hours of regrouping, what was left of the first order slept in the shelter houses on the First Order controlled planet. You slept alone in a corner facing the wall. You knew Kylo was watching you, but you didn't even want to look at him. All you could see when you looked at him was the memories of him tearing you away from the base.

Hux had approached you after the discussions , and you quickly ran away, avoiding him. You couldn't face him at the moment, knowing you would have to reveal the whereabouts of his fiance. Knowing you would have to reveal what you and Kylo had done.

------

You sat alone in a window filled room, your back facing the door. When it opened you made no move to address the entering person.

"She's gone, isn't she." The tentative voice behind you spoke. "All the escape pods are back, she isn't here." You turned around slowly to see your superior in the doorway. General Hux's eyes were filled with pain. You could see his face becoming as red as his hair.

"I'm sorry." You answered sadly. His eyes widened for a second before falling in defeat. You had never seen such torment in someone's expression. You'd seen countless men come in from battle with horrendous wounds, and yet none of them held the suffering of the General.

"Do you know...what happened?" He said calmly, his voice barely breaking.

"S-she was shot. I found her right before the explosion. I-" You wanted to scream. You wanted to blame it all on Kylo and say he made you leave her. Nothing would give your resentment the satisfaction more than blaming him. Yet you knew in your heart you wouldn't be alive if Kylo had let you retrieve her. "We had to leave her. There wasn't enough time." He shook his head.

"I understand." His voice was broken. He looked down at his gloved hand and removed the left one. A silver ring glowed on his finger. He gave a small smile at it, before letting a tear fall.

"You really loved her." You said with a small voice. He gave a bitter chuckle.

"I've never been one to be open about my feelings, Miss (Y/N)." He re-gloved his hand and stood a bit straighter. "But when I was with Miss Saw I was able to be someone different. It is a great shame that this happened." He turned and started to leave.

"Hux!" You called after him. He cocked his head in your direction. "She was my best friend. If you ever want to talk-"

"There is nothing to talk about." He said stiffly with his back to you. "She's gone. Life goes on." With that he exited the room. You sat down on the floor with your head in your hands. 

Saw... you didn't deserve this.

Your heart hurt as you thought about the first day you had met your best friend.

"I'm Officer Saw, I just got transferred here, (Y/N) isn't it?" She held out a hand for you to shake and you took it gingerly.

"Nice to meet you." You gave her a pleasant smile.

"So what do you know about the 4B7 aero analyzer we will be using?" She asked in a hushed tone. You chuckled a bit.

"I heard it can detect nearby ships from over 10,000 km away. It was built by the Eeros Mands!" She seemed startled by your knowledge, and pleased to speak with someone who understood her love of technology.

"Eeros Mands as in the inventor of the Mands patented Star-ship?"

"And the Eeros Comm link." Her smile broke into a full beam.

"(Y/N), I think we will get along well here." She said smugly.

"As do I." You held out an arm to escort her. "Shall we?"

"We shall."

You smiled at the memory, a few tears gathering at your cheekbones. One thing was certain: you'd find out who had shot Saw.

In the middle of your thoughts, the door swung open. You turned to see the dark robes of Kylo Ren swish in.