Chapter 22. Fly

"Goddammit, Hurry up Kylo!" You screamed in frustration towards the battle in front of you. You sat in the cockpit of an open X-Wing, trying desperately to figure out the mechanics. You struggled with the controls and looked up hopelessly at the war. You could see him in the distance, all black and waving his saber around. People fell in groups as he cut a path through. He was so close, and yet so far.

You started to panic as you noticed a group of resistance fighters looking your way. They started to head toward you, realizing you were trying to make your escape.

"Kylo!" You screamed.

Go without me!

"Goddamit, no!" You watched in fear as the group of fighters got closer and closer. "Kylo please" You begged. You knew he could hear you and you pleaded with him to join you. Finally with a small sob you pushed a few buttons and heard the roar of the X-Wing come to life. The group of fighters was upon you now however. They began climbing into the cockpit and you grabbed your blaster. With a few shots you kept two women from getting close to you. The three men in front of the ship were hanging from the nose. You began to panic as you realized they were all climbing on to prevent you from taking off.

Oh my god. This is it.

You could see General Hux standing far away from the battle. You knew he was watching as his army was failing to defeat the resistance.

You shot a man in the chest and he flew back, hitting another man and sending them to the ground. You clipped a woman's leg and sent her soaring. Your vision blurred with tears as you worked in fear to keep them away. You dropped the blaster in defeat as another group of fighters started running toward you.

{PHSSSHEWWW}

You gasped as the familiar ignition of a lightsaber roared behind you.

"Close the cockpit!" Kylo screamed as he hit a man in the chest. You quickly grabbed a few buttons and moved back so Kylo could sit in front of you.

"Get in!" You screamed as he jumped down, landing in front of the controls.

"Put on that helmet!" He yelled back at you, shutting off his lightsaber. He grabbed the throttle and yanked it hard enough you'd think it would break. With a blast, the ship lurched forward and you screamed triumphantly. "Yes! Woo!" You laughed wrapping your arms around Kylo's back.

"Trying to drive here!" He said with the grit of his teeth.

"Sorry!" You said, quickly retracting your hands. The ship zoomed down the runway, taking down resistance and First Order members alike. You resisted the urge to wave at the General as you took off. You watched in wonder as the ship left the planet. Soon the quarreling members were tiny specks in the distance. The planet retreated into the blackness of space as you shot through the abyss. You let out a huge gust of air that you'd been keeping in. "Oh my god. We-we did it!" Kylo turned his head slightly to look back at you.

"We did." He said with a smile. His smile faded when you smacked him on the side of the head.

"You really wanted me to leave you!? Really!?" He winced.

"I didn't want you to miss your chance." He said apologetically. You shook your head.

"There would have been no point leaving if I went alone." You leaned your head against his back. " Plus I uh- well I don't really know how to fly this thing." You admitted.

"How were you planning on getting off the planet!?" He asked incredulously.

"I read a manual for a Tie Fighter and I assumed it was the same!" He shook his head.

"They are very very different machines! For one thing, the axis on the Tie Fighter is-"

"Okay okay I get it!" You said with a giggle. "I was mostly hoping you knew." You countered. "Which you did! So it's fine!" He sighed.

"God you drive me nuts." He said in defeat.

"But you love me." You teased.

"That I do." He said with admiration. You looked back to see that the resistance planet was far behind you now. It had started to blend in with the millions of stars in the distance. You smiled in wonder as the galaxy spread around you.

"I've never really had a chance to admire how pretty it all is." You said, leaning back against the seat.

"It is pretty nice." Kylo admitted.

You were free. You had no allegiance to anyone now. All that was left was you and Kylo, and the great expanse of the galaxy.