Chapter 5- I'm In Desperate Need Of A Distraction

“Why so down?” Farrah asked with a pouty lip, trying to imitate my gloomy look.

I stared at the teacher trying to take notes about whatever subject he was teaching on and sighed. I couldn’t even tell you in general what it was about. If Thomas causes me to fail I’ll kill him. I was still peeved at him over the whole homecoming dance thing yesterday. Though, sadly, I can’t blame it all on him. I was also a little angry at my parent’s as well.

“Lots of reasons, but most recently, my parents have been at it again,” I replied leaning my facing in my palm for support.

I was entirely too sleepy and not focused enough for this class today.

A look of understanding passed over her face. “I’m sorry. Maybe it will get better soon.”

“I hope so or I think I’ll move in with you,” I said honestly.

“Believe me, I’d love that. But I don’t think putting up with my sister would be any better than your parents,” she said with the roll of her eyes. 

After a moment of thought I had to agree with her on that.

“Yeah, you’re probably right.”

Farrah’s sister could be a bit much at times- a little too much. No doubt she gets her high and mighty attitude from her mom. They’re just alike in my eyes. I would never guess that Farrah and Heather were even sisters.

Class ended quickly to my delight, and I found myself waking towards the lunch room with Grace, Farrah and Megan at my side.

Thankfully I hadn’t seen Thomas today. That would just be the icing on the cake to my crappy mood. I was not in the mood to deal with him right now.

“Do you think you can stay after school today?” Grace asked me as we entered the lunchroom.

“I don’t know, I guess,” I shrugged. “What’s up?”

“I have to finish up a project for Art and I really don’t wanna hang out around school all by myself. It kind gives me the creeps you know?”

I giggled at her, but agreed to stay. “Sure.” But suddenly a thought came to mind. “Wait, we rode with Megan today, how are we going to get home?”

“My brother is picking me up after school. He can drop you off at home or you can come to mine.”

Suddenly I saw a golden opportunity I couldn’t pass up on.

“You think your parents will let me stay the night tonight?” I asked.

Even though it was a school night, I didn’t really think they’d mind. They are more relaxed than most parents.

“I don’t see why they would. They hardly even know that Deacon and I exist. I swear it’s like we’re raising ourselves sometimes,” she replied.

I smiled. “Every teenagers dream.”

“I guess,” she shrugged.

Farrah and Megan were in front of us in the lunch line grabbing their food seeming to be in a conversation of their own not even paying attention to us anymore. After grabbing our food and taking a seat at our usual table, I let Megan know that it would only be her and Farrah after school today so she wouldn’t wait on us.

When I got to Food 1 Thomas wasn’t there. Thankfully today we didn’t have a lab and it was just an open book test. I’m not sure I could have handled the kitchen all by myself. Not that Thomas was much help, but I suppose it was better than nothing.