Chapter 15- No Animals Allowed on the Beach and That Includes You

Chapter 15- No Animals Allowed on the Beach and That Includes You

Grace’s idea of a good Saturday is shopping and checking out the guys at the mall. My idea of a good Saturday is driving two hours out of the way and spending at the beach. It had been so long since I had been. Well, a month to be exact. I visited a lot over the summer, but since school started back I hadn’t been.

The only problem…I was grounded. That’s what happens when you stay out all night and don’t call your, worried out of her mind, mom. Now Grace and I sat on the phone discussing ways to get me out of the house for the day. None of which were good ideas.

It seemed our friends…or I guess I should use that in the singular context, had other plans today with her bad boy. I now refer to him as her “bad boy problem”.

Farrah was currently spending her Saturday with Brody and his family, while Megan, our not so much friend, was doing God only knows what with no one knows who. I could take a guess though.  

After our somewhat lengthy argument of what we should do today, I eventually won with my beach idea when I reminded Grace that there would probably be more guys at the beach than the mall. She seemed really excited about it after that.

 She really needed a boyfriend. Well, let’s face it, we both did.

“So how will we sneak you out?” She asked.

I groaned. “I don’t know. Technically I still have one more day of my sentence left.”

“Any chance you could get off early with good behavior?”

“Doubtful. My mom likes rules.”

“Don’t you at least want to ask her?”

I rolled my eyes at the mere thought of dealing with my mom. “I don’t know. Do I? You’ve met her.”

“Just ask,” she insisted.

I sighed. “Fine, I’ll ask, but if she kills me for doing it you’ll know what happened to me.”

I hung up the phone with Grace and forced myself downstairs to find my Mom. I knew she was in the kitchen when I heard her on the phone with one of her friends.

When I entered she hadn’t noticed me and was still standing over the stove stirring a pot and gossiping about someone named Angela in their book club that was having an affair on her husband. I took a seat next to my sister Cynthia at the counter as she played on her phone when I noticed the necklace she was wearing and frowned.

“Is that my necklace?” I asked her.  

She didn’t look away from her phone as she answered me. “Yeah. I liked it, so I took it.”

I scoffed. “Where did you even get it?”

“Your room.”

“You invaded my privacy? I told you you’re not allowed in there!”

She rolled her eyes. “What’s the big deal? It’s not like you even wear it.”

“That’s not the point. It’s my stuff.”

“Would you two stop arguing? I can’t even hear myself think,” Mom interrupted.

She was no longer on the phone anymore and was pouring the pasta she made into five bowls and sat them on the table. When I counted the bowls I knew one thing.

“Is dad here?” I asked her.

Since their incessant arguing lately, dad had rarely been home. He spent most of his time at work and on the golf course practicing his drive. It was a new hobby he’d picked up when one of his coworkers invited him to play after work last week. Since then he spent almost every evening there.