Chapter 23- I Smelled Like Bathrooms

I stared at the front seat of Thomas’s 2010 gray Jeep Wrangler while debating on whether I should get inside the vehicle or not. It was so unlike him to get permission from anyone to take out a girl. And it was even weirder that I was the girl he wanted to take out tonight.

I mean, sure he’d taken me out before but that was just because I lost a bet and he felt he had something to prove. However, that was over now and it there was really no reason why he should take me anywhere.

It was definitely a mystery to me. But then again, so was Thomas.

Jake was already firmly planted in the back seat waiting on me expectantly to join in the passenger seat next to Thomas.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to sit back there?” I asked Jake. “I don’t mind you taking the front, really.”

It just seemed odd to make him sit all the way in the back. He was one of Thomas’s best friends. He had more right to be there than I did.

Thomas sighed loudly, obviously impatient.

“Come on, Liv. Just get in,” he said.

I stared at him evenly. Did he really have the right to be so impatient with me? He’s the one who asked me to come. Or elected me to at least. “Where are you taking me anyway?”

He didn’t answer.

Without argument, I slid into the Jeep next to him and closed the door. Shifting the vehicle into drive and pulled out of the mall parking lot with a very elated Jake in back talking about how glad he was to be off work.

The conversation went on between himself and virtually no one while Thomas mastered the road, effectively blocking his best friend out. Eventually Jake stopped talking about his work when a Pit-bull song came on and decided to try to keep up with the rhythm of singing it. He was quite amusing and surprisingly on Key for an amateur. 

“No, no. It’s the next one,” Jake shouted as Thomas pulled up next to a shopping center. Thomas eyed the next store and pulled forward.

It looked like some kind of candle and incense store. Not somewhere I would expect Jake to shop at. Then again, I never pictured him working at a pretzel shop either.

On the window a yellow paper read:

Candle making class on Sunday’s from 6 to 7:30 PM.

    Teacher: Lisa Franklin

Somewhere in the back on my mind her name tugged at something familiar. I had probably heard it somewhere before and forgotten it. I couldn’t be sure.

I pulled out my phone from my baggy jacket and glanced at the time. It read 6 PM. I wondered if it was just a coincidence that it also happened to be Sunday.

I glanced at Thomas and raised an eyebrow. “Interesting choice of hobby. Though I didn’t really expect it from you,” I teased him.

Just as I said it, I was taken aback by the sight of Kyle leaving the shop and everything became suddenly obvious.

Of course! Why didn’t I see it before? I knew that name sounded familiar. Franklin. Kyle Franklin. Lisa must be his mother.

“Awe, you found me out,” Thomas answered sarcastically as he exited the vehicle to let Kyle climb behind his seat. Once he was inside, Thomas got back in too and pulled out of the lot.