Chapter 30-The End of an Era

(7 Months Later)

“Are nervous about tomorrow?” Farrah asked aloud to me and Grace as she shifted through an old magazine from my night stand.

Grace shrugged. “I don’t know that I’m so much nervous as I am sad.”

“Sad?” My eyes widened as I said it. “It’s graduation. We’ll be officially done with school. It will all be over. Hello, can someone say freedom?”

“Yeah, but I mean, it’s also the end of an era, you know? We won’t see each other as much anymore. Aren’t you afraid we’ll drift apart?”

Farrah looked up from the magazine with a look of disbelief on her face. “We won’t drift apart, Grace. That only happens if you let it happen and I’m not going to. And beside’s we still have the whole summer together. We’re not going anywhere.” Her eyes drifted to me next as if she’s just said something terrible and gave me an apologetic smile. “Well, actually Olivia is, but we’ll see her at the end of it. Plus we’ll keep in touch through the new school year and then there is holiday breaks from school to look forward to. We’ll be back home before we know it.”

I know she was just trying to be optimistic, but even I had my doubts sometimes.  I loved my friends and hoped what she was saying was true. I hoped drifting apart wasn’t an inevitable part of life that couldn’t be avoided.

“I’m so jealous of you, Olivia,” Grace says with weak disgust. “You get to spend your summer at a beach house with your amazingly awesome aunt and boyfriend. It’s not fair.”

I cleared my throat and smirked at her. “If I recall correctly, I did invite you…two months ago, but you made it clear you wouldn’t leave Hunter for that long.” I turned at looked at Farrah next. “And the same goes for you with Brody.”

Farrah rolled her eyes. “Please, you only asked us because of the best friend code. We all knew you secretly wanted to go with Thomas. We’re not that stupid.”

I blushed. Well…maybe that was true. I did really want to go with him.

“You guys have been together for almost seven months. It’s only natural you’d invite him along. It wouldn’t have been right any other way.”

True. I’d feel like I was missing something the entire time I was gone. That wouldn’t have been much fun.

“Don’t worry, we forgive you,” Grace winked.

I had to laugh at them. This is why these two were my best friend’s. I could tell them anything and they understood me and stood by me no matter what. I couldn’t even imagine not being with them next year.

A wave of sadness silently creeped up on me and settled itself deep inside. I couldn’t stop think about what I’d be missing next year.

Mind reader Farrah studied my face and shook her head. “Stop worrying so much. Everything will be fine.”

“I don’t want to leave you guys this fall,” I said. Tears started to prickle into my eyes.

“Ugh, I’m gonna have to break this thing down for you guys again aren’t I?” She sighs and closes her magazine. “Grace, you will only be five hours from me and three from Olivia. We’ll still be close, almost in the same state. Stop freaking out. We’re just a drive away.”

But it’s not the same, I wanted to say. One look at Farrah told me I shouldn’t. I knew she wouldn’t hear of it. Her mind was made up and that was that. Nothing was going to change it.