Chapter 12- I've Seen More Clothes On A Hooker

Chapter 12- I’ve Seen More Clothes On A Hooker

“Hey, wanna come over to mine tonight after the dance?” I asked Grace during art.

It was Friday, and I had no plans. It was much better than spending the weekend alone.

“Sure, I guess I could. Are you coming to my brother’s party tonight?” she asked.

And it get’s awkward. We weren’t speaking about Deacon as much these days due to fact it was weird for me. I harbored slight feelings for my best friend’s brother and I felt guilty. It was wrong and I knew it, but since I couldn’t fix it, I elected to act like he didn’t exist. I knew it would work until I had to see him again. Like the party for example.

“I don’t know. Like I said, my mom would flip if she ever found out about it and I’m not ready to be grounded.”

“Come on, please?” she begged.

She was relentless. This had to be the hundredth time she’d asked me since she announced crashing it a few days ago.

I sighed knowing that I wasn’t going to get out of this one as easily as I had the other times. I had nothing to distract her with. I already tried the candy bit. It worked until she ate it all and then she came right back later that day. I also tried the “I think that guy is staring at you” lie and took my leave, but she eventually found me and she wasn’t happy. Then there was the brief distraction when I asked her what she was wearing to the dance. Now, I was just out of options.

“Alright, I’ll think about it,” I relented. “But only if you promise not to ask me again.”

Her face lit up like a firework on the fourth of July and she leapt forward and grabbed me in a suffocating hug.

“Grace…can’t breathe.”

She giggled and moved back releasing me. “Sorry.”

I pulled my purse straps back up on my shoulder that fell from the sudden impact of my best friend and reached for my phone to check a message I had just received when Grace grabbed me again, but in a much gentler hug.

“You don’t know how happy I am that you decided to come with me! For some reason Megan bailed on me and I really don’t want to go alone.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, I said I would think about it,” I corrected her as she released me.

“Same diff,” she shrugged.

Yep. There was no doubt that I would definitely be attending this college party.

Once I pulled my phone from my purse, I was able to see who the text was from and sent him a smile from across the table after reading it.

Jonah: Get me out of 3rd period and I’ll get you out of the party. :)

Me: Not that your proposal doesn’t sound appealing, but Grace would kill me. And why do you think I can get you out of 3rd?

I raise my eyebrow at him as he received the text.

He smiled at me and shrugged then typed out his message and sent it. 

Jonah: You’re the bad girl here. I’m just making the deals. ;)

My mouth fell agape after reading his message and I immediately responded.

Me: Bad Girl!!! What are you talking about? I’m never bad!

This time it was his turn to raise an eyebrow.

Jonah: Says the girl who’s ended up in the principals’ office twice this month, back talked a teacher and gained a detention. Wait…who are you again?