Chapter 9- Breaking The Habit

Thomas sped down the wet road at an uncomfortable speed which made me nervous. From his relaxed posture, I could see he didn’t feel the same way. He must be used to this kind of driving.

The rain came down in sheets making the air think with fog. It like he was asking to get himself killed. I felt nauseous at the thought of wrecking and dying. I just wasn’t ready yet. 

“If you don’t slow down I’m going to be sick,” I said clutching my stomach as he rounded one of the curves at the speed of a Disney World roller coaster.

“Not in the car,” I said loudly bring the car down to a safer speed.

“Thank you,” I mumbled.

He smiled, but kept his eyes glued to the road. At least he was focused. That comforted me some.

“You should really learn to loosen up and relax,” he said.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Excuse me?”

“You’re always so uptight and tense. Have ever let loose and just lived for the moment?”

“No. I’m not careless,” I stated.

“Not careless. Just let go and have fun,” he smirked. “You know, I could teach you if you’d let me.”

I rolled my eyes at him. Yeah, right. As if I’m going to let him teach me anything.

Oh you know you’d like him to. A little voice in the back of my mind said. However, I had to disagree with it. Nope. I don’t need him to show me anything. Nothing he could teach me would be good for me.

“Tempting offer, but no thanks,” I replied with heavy sarcasm, watching the road ahead.

He shook his head, clear amusement on his face. “I admire your restraint, but one day I’m gonna get through to you and it’s going beautiful. You’ll be coming to me before you know it.”

I crossed my arms over my chest still not looking at him when I replied. “I highly doubt that.”

“Only time will tell. You’ll see that I‘m right.”

Keep telling yourself that bad boy. Overconfident isn’t always a good thing.

Thomas's house was very ordinary, and not at all what I expected. I don't know. Maybe I expected the stereotypical bad Boy's house. Maybe it would be in a rough neighborhood or it would look rundown and old. But no. No, Thomas Cavanaugh's house was nothing like that. Not at all. It was virtually very calm and ordinary. Nothing like I had read in books or seen in movies. His house did not fit his life style. It gave me some hope that he was just a normal, rebellious teen who was just acting out and not as bad as he seemed. That maybe, just maybe, there was some part of him that was actually human.

Though, I knew better than to hope for much when it came to Thomas. What was the very popular and very true saying? Hope breeds internal misery.

Yes. Yes it did.

I examined the white house with blue shutters and a fenced in yard and stared in awe of it. It was a very cute and very quaint place. Almost like some place Shirley Temple or The Clever's would live. I could picture June Clever rushing to the door now with a fresh baked pie in her hands and then she'd welcome us in.

And yes, I know June Clever. I have TV Land.

"Are you going to stand and gawk at my house all day or are you going to go in?" Thomas asked breaking my entertaining thoughts.