Chapter 20- Pool Halls and Date Crashers

Friday was quickly approaching. I was staring at the end of the week faster than I thought possible. It hadn’t been an easy week. Not with Thomas being everywhere. Our fight didn’t sit well with him and he was still poking around asking questions about my previous plans.

Unfortunately I had to text Deacon and cancel on him and to my delight he opted to reschedule or date for Saturday instead. It had to dates this weekend with two different guys, and I was kind of…excited about it. Not sure what that said about me, but I had to keep my options open. Maybe after my dates and talking to both, Thomas and Deacon, I’d have a better idea of where I was going with each of them.

At the end of the day on Thursday I rode to my house with Grace who desperately wanted to hang out and talk to me. She had had something in her mind all day and I suspected she wanted to tell me about it.

“Want some water?” I asked her pulling two bottles from the fridge for us.

When she nodded I handed her one of them. After a very short conversation with my mom, we both headed upstairs to my room. She pulled out her iPad from her bag and took a seat on my bed.

“So…what’s the deal?”

She looked up at me as I dug through my closet for something to wear tomorrow night. It never hurts to be prepared.

She let out a long restless sigh. I looked over my shoulder at her.

“I-I…sort of like somebody,” she admitted.

My eyes widened at her confession and I took a step back then turned to face her. “Wow, Grace. I’m-that’s great! Who’s the lucky guy?”

She blushed. “You know him. We both do, pretty well I think.”

“And?”

She looked away from me and out my window. “He may be enemy territory.”

Enemy terri- oh wait! I gasped. “Please tell me it isn’t who I think it is.”

Her eyes snapped back to mine. “Who?”

The words tasted bitter I my mouth and I hadn’t even said them yet. Just the mere thought of the vile person my best friend was interested in unsettled me greatly.

“Blake?” I guessed.

Grace flinched at the name quickly and shook her head. “No. I’d never do that to Farrah. I’m not Megan.”

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.”Then…”

“He’s a friend of Blake’s though.”

Oh.

She continued. “He’s a good guy, but I don’t know how everyone would react if it got out I liked him. He’s not exactly favored in Farrah’s eyes due to his connection with Blake.”

Suddenly everything was starting to make sense now. Thus explaining the enemy territory. Well I certainly didn’t expect that from her.

“You think I’m horrible, don’t you?” she asked lowering her gaze to the floor.

“No. Grace, you can like whoever you want. Sometimes we can’t help it. I’m sure that if you told Farrah she’d understand.”

I only hoped my words encouraged her. It wasn’t my goal to make her feel bad for her choice of guy.

She looked back up hopeful. “You really think so?”

“I think you’ll never know until you tell her. It was the same thing for me and you. I thought you’d hate me for liking Deacon, but you didn’t. I don’t see how Farrah could react any different.”