Chapter 19- Maybe I Should Just Commit to a Life of Celibacy

                 Jonah wasn’t a complete jerk; he just knew when to appreciate something really funny. Like my embarrassing conversation at Chuck E Cheese with my dad last night and how he lectured me on dating and boys. Like I was completely oblivious to it all.

                “You can stop laughing now,” I told him trying to hold in my own laughter as well.

                “I’m sorry. It’s just...wow. Imagine how your dad would have reacted if you hadn’t heard him come in.”

                 I shook my head sobering up. “I don’t even want to think about the consequences of that happening. It would definitely be unforgettable. And not in a good way.”

                His eyebrows rose and the humor of the situation started to die down, taking a more serious turn. “So, have you talked to Grace about all of this yet?”

                No. That’s why I’m talking to you about it.

                “Not yet. But I will. I’m just trying to figure out how, you know?”

                He cracked a smile. “You better hurry. Friday is only four days away. Time’s running out.”

                “I know,” I said already realizing that fact. I reached my hand out and gently placed it on top of his “Hey. This isn’t weird for you is it? Us talking about my love life and all.” I shifted awkwardly on the outside bench.        

                He shrugged looking away from me, staring at the other students. His elbows rested on his knees as he leaned on them “No. I mean, yeah I asked you to the dance and you turned me down, but it’s not like we were dating or anything. It was a risk and I took it. At least I know how you feel now.”

I blinked back in surprise. “What…really? You mean that?”

                “Yeah.” He glanced at me and smiled. It was such a cute boyish smile that I loved so much about him. “We were friends first, right? That’s what we can continue to be if that’s what you really want.”

                “I do,” I said immediately. “I really do.” I wrapped my arms around his neck taking him by surprise and squeezed him tight. He chuckled wrapping is arms around me in return. “I was so worried you might not have really forgiven me. I should have known you wouldn't held a grudge.

                When we released each other we sat back and leaned against the bench. “I could never hold a grudge against you, Olivia. We’ve been friends since the ninth grade. One awkward moment of unrequited feelings isn’t going to change that.”

I placed my hand on his shoulder and tried to hide my sadness from his words. “One day you’re going to meet a girl who will feel the exact same way you that you feel about her.”

“Maybe.” He seemed doubtful.

“I know you will,” I told him. “And the worst thing you could do is stop looking for her. Be patient. You’ll find exactly what you need.”

Finally he gave in and grinned at me. “Okay, fine. But I’m holding you to that.”

After lunch I made my way to Food 1 with Julia who was strangely talkative today. She was blabbing to me some movie she and her friends saw over the weekend and how hot the lead actor was. I don’t know. I barely paid attention. I was too busy scanning the hallways for Thomas. I still hadn’t decided if I was going to confront him about Sunday and had very little time to make my choice.