Chapter 14- Thank You Dr. McSteamy

One week. One entire week since I had uttered a single word to Thomas and as much as I hated to admit it, it was the worst and longest week of my life. I had played the “I don’t care” game with him the whole time and unfortunately he seemed to believe it. I guess my performance must have been more convincing than I thought.

I wanted to reach out and talk to him after he returned from his suspension on Wednesday, but I couldn’t allow myself to do it. Everything I had done to avoid him and get him out of my life would have been flushed down the drain if I gave in.

He had been spiraling down…more than usual. Day after day, since I saw him at the dance, he would sink further into withdrawal. I don’t know what had happened that night, but it was clear something changed. He hadn’t been the same since that night.

I eventually got over his scene that angered me so much after seeing him in his new state. Every day was becoming a new struggle to stay away from him. It was only through the distraction of my friends that I kept away.

He hadn’t even been to our last counseling session nor did I expect him to in the future. I even lied for him once, telling our counselor that he was sick and couldn’t make it. I knew that same lie wouldn’t be believable a second time so I could no longer help him.

Sometimes I just wish I didn’t care anymore. He wasn’t my business or my problem and the sooner I accepted that the better. 

It was another Monday and at Madison High. Including the recent fight breaking out just outside the school entrance this morning.

Grace, Megan and I had carpooled with Farrah this morning in her blue Mini Cooper. I wanted really wanted to confide in them about Thomas, but due to Farrah’s new and surprising confession about taking the big step in her relationship with Blake, I didn’t feel like it was the time. I was too shocked over my best friend’s plans to think anything about Thomas.

I frowned at the sight before me when we all reached the school building and saw Thomas and his friends in a fight with some other guys from the football team. It wasn’t even eight-thirty in the morning and he was already setting himself up for another suspension. Why am I not surprised?

Don’t talk to him, Olivia. He’s beyond help. I coaxed myself.

I followed Farrah and Grace to first period without mentioning a word to them about Thomas and my disappointment of him. I think mine and his relationship, however dysfunctional it is, was better on the wraps for now. The less my friends new the better.

I sat quietly in my seat with Farrah and Olivia while waiting for the rest of the class to fill the room. After a few minutes of waiting I pulled out my copy of Jane Eyre and started on our next assigned chapter and blocked out the rest of the world.

My concentration only temporarily broke when the bantering between my best friend and Thomas’s friend Brody began. I was too far away to make out any of their conversation, but it seemed heated. This puzzled me.

Did Farrah know him?

I furrowed my eyebrows up at them and made a mental note to ask her about it later. He was bad news…almost as bad as Thomas. She’d be better off keeping her distance from him and any of his friends.

Take a page from my book, Farrah. I mentally messaged her knowing full well she’d never get the message. Telepathy would really come in handy in times like these. Too bad I wasn’t that gifted.