Chapter 27- All the Good Ones Are Taken

With Aunt Anita gone things around here had really settled down. She left this morning and I was already starting to miss her presence here. Too bad she couldn’t stick around for Halloween. It would have been awesome with her here. She’d have found a way to make it outrageous and memorable.

My beeped suddenly drawing my attention out of my thoughts and I pulled it out to check it. It was a text from Grace.

Jake’s party is tonight. Wanna go get costumes at that place in the mall?

Me: It’s the week before Halloween. All the good costumes will be gone.

Grace: Any costume is better than no costume. Everyone is wearing one. We’ll stick out like a sore thumb without them.

Me: Okay, Fine. We’ll look. Want me to pick you up?

Grace: No. Deacon and I are swinging by your house anyway. We’ll pick you up in 20 minutes???

My fingers wavered over the keypad to text her back but I stopped, frozen in place. Deacon was coming with us? Thanks for the last minute warning Grace!

I hadn’t seen him since we decided to cool things off. It might be a little awkward to see him now.

I looked down at my pajamas and groaned. Crap. I need to change. I don’t know if could be ready in 20 minutes.

I ran to my closet and grabbed the first clothes I saw and slipped them on then made my way to the bathroom to clean up my appearance. I shrieked after looking at myself in the mirror. My hair was in severe disarray. It looked like a bird decided to make a permanent nest in my hair overnight.

I grabbed my hair brush and ran it through my hair a few times and decided that the best decision was to tie it up into a messy bun. I applied a few last minute cosmetics like mascara and eyeliner and was out the door by the time Grace and Deacon pulled up in my drive way.

I’ll have to convince my mom to let me go to the party later. First I had to get me a costume or the party would not happen at all.

Deacon and Grace greeted me as soon as I got inside the car. Deacon didn’t make a ton of conversation on the way to the mall, but when he did talk to me it didn’t seem as weird or awkward as I thought it would be. Just words and a few stolen glances.

When Grace and I reached Halloween Expo Deacon went off on his own to find a costume and left me and Grace to our own devices.

“What kind of costume are you going to get?” She asked making her way over to one of the shelves.

Most of the ones we looked at on it were all doom and gloom. It was things like, Dracula, Zombies, and the grim reaper type stuff. Nothing I wanted to be seen in. We quickly moved on to the next few shelves. Most of them were children’s costumes and very picked over.

On another shelf there were a few cartoon character costumes and toward the back of the store all the way on the last shelves there were a few medieval and renaissance costumes and then the slutty or sexy ones directly across from them in the same isle.

“Oh, I like this one,” Grace said pulling down a costume from the shelf.

I looked over her shoulder to see which one she had and laughed. “You wanna go to a Halloween party as a bar maid?”

“What? It’s cute.”

“And too short. Deacon would flip before he’d let you go out in something that revealing,”