Chapter 29- I Wasn't Pining

Chapter 29- I Wasn’t Pining

School on Monday couldn’t have been any less awkward that it was. I wasn’t used to having a…relationship? Or what Thomas was. And the looks of surprise of some of our peer’s faces weren’t easy to ignore either.

 “Boyfriend” someone in the hallway mumbled. I blushed. Was that what Thomas was? I didn’t think so.

Sure he waited for me in the parking lot this morning and saw me into the school and even grabbed my hand, but that didn’t mean were together together. I mean, he gave me the option, but I never said one way or the other.

I was surprised by how much that bothered me. But I can’t let it show. Whatever this is between us is new and fragile and I don’t want to break it before it even goes anywhere.

He walked beside me to my locker to retrieve my books and as usual Farrah and Grace were there. They both mirrored the same looks everyone else had given us since walking through the door, but then the unexpected happened. They both lit up with big smiles on their faces.

“Good morning, Olivia!” Farrah beamed. She nodded to Thomas. “Thomas.”

“Hey,” he said.

“You two look happy this fine morning,” she said. “To what do we owe it to?”

I gave Thomas a look and smiled. “Don’t play innocent, Farrah. I know you know. Brody is your boyfriend after all. And I know you well enough to know you’ve already told Grace.”

“I know! But we just want to hear you say it. Come on. Say it with me. Thomas is…”

“Late,” he answered. “I have something I have to do this morning.” He looked at me. “See you later?”

She nodded. “Later.”

My face reddened as he leaned down to place a kiss on my lips. He only lingered there for a second then turned to my friends, smirked and walked off with a proud smile on his face. I could barely make myself look at my friends who were both grinning like idiots.

Then Sarah strode up with Lucas next to her and joined the party. “I just heard the news.” She wasn’t as obvious as everyone else, but her face told me she was happy about me and Thomas.

“News travels fast around here,” I stated, the red finally leaving my face. Although, what news that was I can’t exactly say. I need to clear up my status with Thomas ASAP. It needed to be confirmed before I told people we were dating.

“News like this…how could it not?” she said with a wink.

The warning bell rang and sent most of the hall into frenzy. Farrah turned with Grace and Sarah to disappear with everyone else, but stopped mid step and looked back at me. “You know, this calls for a celebration. Lunch today, at Blue’s. Let’s all go.”

I nodded. “Sounds perfect. Let’s do it.” I loved Blue’s.

The noise around me settled into a low into a low hum and I knew if I didn’t move now I’d be late for English where my friends were already on their way to. .

Through most of class I couldn’t pay attention, unsurprisingly. My mind was elsewhere. It didn’t take a genius to figure out where. It was only in its current state of mind after I made it through the first half of the day and met with my friend’s at Blue’s Bar and Grill for lunch.

The car ride with Thomas was full of teasing and easy banter and thankfully, nothing was weird between us. It was actually weird how easy of a transition it was from whatever we were before to… dating? Thomas grabbed my hand and walked me into the grill door.  I paused quickly as his hand reached for the door. He noticed and moved us away from the door with a questioning look on his face.