Chapter 26- Extreme Measures Not Required

Thomas's POV

"Hey, Dad." I took off my jacket and lay it on the couch next to him. "Is Brad home today?"

Brad, my brother, worked most days at the county police department so I didn't get to see him as much as used to. And when he wasn't a work, he was with his girlfriend Sasha. We sort of had this unspoken arrangement when it came to my dad. Since he was ill, recovering from cancer, we always made sure someone was with him during the day.

While I was at school Brad would stay home with him. And if he had to work that day he would get Sasha to stand in for him and help out with my dad until he got home. The evening was my shift unless Sasha feels generous and stops in to give me a break.

"He's working," Dad said, covering him stoma to speak. His eyes were glued to the flat screen watching a baseball game on DISH. Since the decline of his health, his real enjoyment in life was the sports channels. We subscribed to them after it was clear he'd be spending a lot more time indoors and not enough time of doors. His was confined to a wheelchair now which made his daily activity a little more challenging without some help.

"Are you hungry? I can make us something to eat," I offered.

He shook his head. "Sasha made me a sandwich before she left and put a meatloaf in the fridge for dinner." He looked from the television to me. "She's something else. I'd like to think that if I ever had a daughter, she'd be just like Sasha."

I clapped him on the shoulder as I moved past him into the kitchen. "I know, Dad. I know."

I tried not to have prolonged conversations with him to prevent him from blocking his air tube to speak to me. I didn't know what the continuous side effects for that were so it paid to be cautious.

I pulled some ham and cheese from the fridge and made me a sandwich for lunch. After returning the things back to their place and grabbed a bag of chips from the pantry and carried them up to my room. I looked at the alarm clock when I entered. It was just after noon. I wasn't used to being home so early.

If it weren't for the water problem at the school, I'd still be there suffering along with everyone else until the bell rang. I suppose I was thankful for the interruption for more than one reason through. It got me out of class, but it also got me away from Olivia. After yesterday I couldn't bear to look at her yet. I didn't want to see the hatred on her face when she saw me.

I sat down at my desk and powered up my laptop as I finished up my lunch. I checked out a few of my favorite website and eventually made my way to Facebook. Sarah was already logged on when I signed in to my account.

She messaged me immediately.

Sarah: Hi.

Me: Hi. What's up?

Sarah: Bored... You?

Me: Just getting home. Where's your boyfriend?

Sarah: New York with his dad. Why are you alone?

Me: What makes you think I'm alone?

Sarah: Because I know you. If you had "company" you wouldn't be on here talking to me.

Me: ....

Sarah: Speechless. Uh oh...what's wrong?

Me: I need a distraction. Wanna come over?

I waited for a couple of minutes in silence for her reply wondering if she was about to turn me down when her reply finally came.

Sarah:  /;-) Are you sure that's a good idea?