Chapter 1 (Edited)

My name's Alexander. I was turned three years ago today. It should be my twenty-third birthday, but I'm stuck in a twenty year-old body, but hey, I am so not complaining. I have known I was gay since I was about fifteen. When I received the position of starting wide receiver on my high school football team, I couldn't keep my eyes off the quarterback, Kole, especially in the locker room.

I only just came out two years ago after Kole's sister turned me. She was so sorry, because she actually meant to kill me. Hmm...die at twenty or live forever. Right now, I'm very happy that I'm alive. Life's great, I work as a rookie at SWAT. The veterans all call me Faggster, but it's more of a joke, not a prejudice. Plus, I don't mind.

There are lots of vampires working at SWAT; apparently, it's quite common to be revolted by human blood even when you're a vampire.

"Hey, Faggster! Wake up from your daydream, blood sucker! You're here to train, not think about your boyfriend!" Paul, our team's captain was yelling at me. We were at the gym working out to stay in shape.

I reddened slightly, "Sorry Cap! Won't happen again!" I started my pull-ups.

"You say that every damn time," I heard Paul say under his breath. One thing vamps do have, is amazing hearing and eyesight. I am our SWAT team's sniper.

After finishing the strength test, we jogged over to the shooting range with all our gear on. Everyone was sweating, but no one was out of breath. We always trained with the weapons we were best at and the worst at. I shot with my baby, my M14 Sniper Rifle, and then I also shot with my Glock. We had gearing up drills which were my favorite. Cap timed us on how fast we could put all our gear on. The last one to finish had to run an extra five miles on top of the ten miles we run twice a day.

What can I say, we're prepared for the worst.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kelli, open up the damn door! I forgot my key on the kitchen counter!" I yelled at the apartment door that my best friend and I shared. Kelli was the only human that knew of my being a vampire besides the guys on the SWAT team that were humans. I have known her since we were ten, and I had just moved to Manhattan from Nashville.

I pounded on the door several more times until I sat on the ground outside of my apartment. There was a guy walking down the hall with several books in his arms stumbling down the hallway. He was a little scrawny in a very cute way. He stumbled over his own feet and his books went flying.

"Ah, shit," I heard him mumble under his breath.

I jumped up to my feet and jogged down the hall to help him. The books consisted of Romeo and Juliet, The Odyssey, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lax, and several other books.

"Thanks so much," the guy breathed out.

"No problem, tell me where to take these," I said, he was pretty tall about 6'1", but he had little meat on his body. His face was sharp, but he had finger-combed wavy brown hair that looked absolutely gorgeous on him.

"Oh, no, I got it," he tried to take the books from my arms, but I just smiled and shook my head at him.

He smiled gratefully to me and led the way to his apartment 24, two down from me. He unlocked the door with great difficulty, and we walked into an apartment that consisted of the same layout as mine, but his apartment walls had murals all across the walls. One wall depicted a beautiful sunset, one a green valley, and another one of a fire; however, the one that caught my attention was two nude men embracing each other under a beautiful waterfall.

His apartment was peaceful.

I placed the books on the table and walked to the wall with the men. It wasn't quite finished yet. There were paint buckets spread all across the floor of whites, blues, reds, green, tans, browns, and yellows. One man was black, but the other, a snowy white with red hair. The painting expressed so many emotions: sadness, happiness, pride, resentment.

"Do you like it?" the man asked. He seemed so very close, yet I didn't mind at all. "You don't seem like the type of man that's pro-gay."

I right-out laughed at his statement. He was very far from the truth, but as my short laugh reverberated through the room he stepped back as if he had been slapped across the face.

"Oh, God! No! I'm gay!" I exclaimed quickly. I immediately blushed at my profound announcement and ran my fingers through my hair awkwardly. His features softened, and a chuckle burst through both of our lips. The tension had completely left the room as we chuckled over how wrong we perceived each other.

"I'm Alexander," I said, sticking out my hand for him to shake.

"I'm Cerulean," he said, shaking my hand.

"You're painting is beautiful. Geez, it literally expresses all the emotions you feel when you come out to the world as gay." I ran my hand over the wall where the two men's faces were, wishing I could have what they had...love.