Chapter 9

"Cap, I'm so sorry I'm late.  I had to help out my boyfriend this morning," I said to my Captain.

 Paul just shook his head and gave me a smile from where he was seated on his new office chair.  Apparently, it was supposed to relieve the pressure off his butt.  His wife bought it for him after he was shot, and she calls to check up on him every other hour and always comes by at lunch bringing him food.  

Just as I was thinking about Paul's wife, Sheila came storming in with an aggravated look on her face.  

"Hey, honey.  What's going on?"  Paul asked Sheila as she headed straight for the captain.  "Is everything alright?  Is the baby okay?"  Paul reached forward to rub Sheila's protruding stomach.  "What's wrong?"

Sheila's expression softened and she took Paul's hands in her own, "Sweetheart, the baby's fine.  I'm justt frustrated, because I called you like twenty times and you never answered.  What would you do if my water had broken and you had missed the baby's birth?  I need your cell to be on full volume at all times while you're at work!"

By this point I had successfully removed myself from the Captain's office and was headed over to my makeshift desk.  I was in charge of getting the bills together for Paul to pay off at the end of the month when we got a call about an armed robbery gone wrong.

Paul ran out of his office, "Everybody, gear up NOW!  Let's go, let's go, let's go!"  Sheila gave Paul a quick kiss before she sat down in his office chair and pulled out her laptop to work on until the Team got back.

"What's the situation, Cap?" I asked as I pulled on my SWAT vest and geared up.

"Four robbers armed.  Don't know what kind of weapons they have.  Shots have been fired.  At least 30 hostages.  At least three already wounded.  Collins, get your sniper.  We're gonna put you across the street on top of the high school across the street.  School's on lockdown, so you're going to take the outside stairs to the roof.  Set up fast.  If you get a shot, you fucking take it.  These bastards mean business.  You shoot to kill, Collins, not wound!  Understood?!?!"

"Yes sir!" I immediately responded.  As the captain had been briefing all of us, we were already in the vehicle on our way downtown.  Cap continued to yell out orders over the several different clicks  as all the guys loaded their guns.  I had all my guns locked  and loaded and was holding onto my baby.  She was a beautiful black .22 sniper rifle, and she was ready for some action.  She hadn't gotten any in awhile, and she was locked and loaded.

We unloaded the truck and ran out the back on silent feet.  Most of the guys ran to the front where the cops were briefing.  One of the newer team members, Toby Remirez, and I immediately ran over to the high school and located the outdoor stairs leading up to the roof.  As we climbed the stairs we had our sidearms at the ready scouting the enire roof before Toby took my six and I set up my sniper aiming it towards the bank with the safety still on.

I took position down on my stomach and took the safety off.  I took aim towards the bank and scanned all inside tracking all the friendlies and the unfriendlies.  From what I could see, there were five suspects and forty-seven friendlies.  One friendly was on the ground bleeding profusely from her inner thigh and another was bleeding not too horribly from his shoulder.  I found two other friendlies down, but I could not tell whether they were shot or stabbed or physically assaulted.  There was very little blood around the two friendlies.

I reported all the newly found information to the whole team but I was directly informing Paul.  I was told to hold my  fire until otherwise ordered.  My sniper was focused on what seemed to be the leader of the unfriendlies.  He was white, about 5'10", wearing a ski mask and gloves holding what appeared to be a traditional AK-47.  He was jumpy and sweaty, and he appeared to be going into withdrawal and needed a hit very badly.  His reaction looked very severe, so he was probably on something stronger than cocaine.  My guess was either crystal meth or heroin.  A sudden cold turkey withdrawal from either of those drugs was extremely dangerous and could lead to seizures, strokes, and cardiac arrest.

This man looked very close to any three of these dangerous symptoms and if that happened all hell was going to break loose when these unfriendlies' leader went down hard.

"Captain, the main unfriendly seems to be in serious withdrawal from what I'm guessing to be meth or heroin.  He could seize or go into cardiac arrest at any minute now.  When and if that happens his little minions are going to go around slaughtering these friendlies.  What are your orders, sir?"

"Shit!"  I heard the captain curse under his breath through my ear piece.  There was no good choice here.  Somebody was going to die today, and we were here to make that no innocents were killed.  "Remirez, get your sniper out.  Get ready to shoot some unfriendlies.  Remember, shoot to kill, not injure.  Collins, show Remirez his two targets, and you will take out the two most irrate robbers.  Wait until they get close together, and then on my order, you will shoot.   No hesitations.  This is life or death for all these people.  Can you do that, Remirez?"

"Yes, sir!" Toby responded through his mic.  He had successfully set up, and I told him to find his location through the scope.

"Okay, the two black males are mine, Remirez.  You get the white male and the white female.  Shoot to kill, no hesitations.  You move quickly to your next target.  They will be moving frantically and possibly fire on the innocents.  Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir!"

I leaned into the shoulder plate on my sniper and I took the safety off.  I leaned into the scope and found my first unfriendly-the ring leader.  He was too  unstable to risk on leaving last.  I lined his head up in the center of my scope and reported to Toby that I was in position.  He was in position to take out the white male, me the tall black male.

"Captain, Remirez and I are in position.  We're ready when you are, sir."

"Alright boys, don't fucking hesitate.  I have a bad feeling about this, but I have worse feeligns towards any other way of subduing these unfriendlies.  Fire."

I immeditaley pulled the trigger and watched the tall black male's head jerk back painfully.  Blood, brain matter, and bone spurted from the back of his head onto the innocents behind him.  I immediately shifted onto his partner who began screaming and firing at innocents.  Blood was spurting, and I lined up with his head and shot.  He was down, but a lot of people were shot.  I immediately pulled up my sniper and grabbed my gear before switching to my handgun and waited for Remirez to pack up his sniper and grab his sidearm.  

We hurried down the roof's stairs to the street and dropped our snipers in  the back of the SWAT truck and grabbed medical bags and ran into the bank to help attend to the wounded.  Remirez stayed behind.  He was shaken up.  That was his first sniper kill.  It's such a personal death.  You see their facial expression, the sweat on their brow, the lines on their forehead, and the slight shake in the unfriendlies' hands as they gripped their gun tighter feeling themselves being watched but not knowing where.  They don't even know the bullet's coming.  One second they're holding several hostages; the next minute, they're dead and in hell.

I remembered my first kill with a sniper.  I couldn't sleep for a week.  All I could see was the man's face before I split his head wide open to rot in a box for the rest of eternity.  Even now, my hands shook slightly, but I had to push my emotions aside to run into the bank.  So far, the death total lay at  five.  The hostage that was bleeding out passed away right before my own eyes.  Two of the four unfriendlies were killed by my own doing.  I placed sheets over the four men's bodies when a woman came running through the police blockade to where I knealed by the short dead black man.  She began screaming at me.

"NO!  My baby!  NO!  You fucking bastard!  You didn't have to kill him!  My son!  My son!"  The woman screamed as she pounded on my chest and sobbed.  All I did was hold the woman to my chest.  This was absolutely the hardest part of my job.  The unfriendlies always had a beautiful loving family that they just threw away all because they decided to take drugs one day.

I had to reomove myself from the scene early and head back over to the station.  I immediately took a shower washing the days worries off of me, and I went to the team's shrink so I could start working again soon.  It was mandatory after you kill someone to see the shrink afterwards before you start up work again.