Kinder Than You Know (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

You were making up Lady Margaery's bed when her voice startled you. "You do not hide your feelings very well, my friend." You turned around to glance at the lady from Highgarden. She was sitting at her vanity, watching you from the mirror. "I beg your pardon, My Lady but what do you mean?" She smiled sweetly at you, as was her nature. Lady Margaery was a kind soul and you rejoiced when you were assigned to be her handmaiden.

"I mean the prince's dog. The Hound," she clarified. You stood up straight and breathed deeply to control your anger. You hated when people talked about Sandor Clegane that way, even if there was no malice in it. The man did have a name after all and he was human, not an animal. "Your feelings for him are obvious. What I do not understand is why? He is not a kind man from what I have come to learn," she continued, watching your face as she spoke. You quickly finished what you were doing and turned back to her. "Please, Y/N? I do not wish to upset you, I am merely curious." You sighed and nodded.

Margaery gestured to the chair next to her, indicating that you should sit. You did so and waited. "Y/N. Why the Hound?" You sighed and wondered where to begin. You thought you'd hidden your feelings well and that no one knew, but Margaery was observant. She did not hurry you. She simply sat, waiting for you to say something. "Sandor Clegane is...different. He is a kinder than you know, My Lady." Your thoughts returned to the night you realized that you loved the man and you smiled.

You stormed into the kitchen, angrily. You picked up the first thing you could reach and threw it before sliding down to the floor. You brought your knees to your chest and sobbed into them. You didn't hear the door opening again or the footsteps approaching you. "What did the wall do to ya?" a voice made you whip your head up. Towering over you was Sandor Clegane, the man most people feared above all else, but the man you knew as a friend.

He used his thumb to indicate the door behind him. The knife you had thrown was sticking out of the doorframe. You glanced between the wall and the man before dissolving into tears again. Sandor didn't ask anything else. He simply sat down next to you and awkwardly put his arm around your shoulder. He pulled you close to him and just let you cry. After a while, his arm got tired, so he moved you so you were sitting in his lap. One of his large hands rubbed small circles on your back while the other held you in place.

"Shh, girl. Nothing is worth that many tears," he said after nearly an hour, but the tone of his voice wasn't malicious or joking. He said it simply because it was a fact. He still didn't ask what was bothering you. It wasn't that he didn't care. You knew he did. He simply didn't want you to start crying again by talking about whatever it was that upset you in the first place. The two of you sat in silence. Sandor held you in his lap until he had no choice but to get up.

Margaery was beaming at you when you finished your story. You were holding back happy tears at the memory. "You love him. You should tell him while you have the chance. The only thing worse than being in love is being in love without the other person knowing." she told you. You thanked the gods once again for being assigned to her. She truly was a kind-hearted young woman. "Perhaps I shall. Thank you, My Lady." You stood, curtsied and left the room in search of Sandor.