By the Fire (Samwell Tarly x fem!reader)

If there was anything that could be said of Samwell Tarly, it was that he enjoyed the simple things in life. A loving woman, a decent meal, a good book and the chance to sit by the fire with loved ones. That was all he required to feel happy and at home. Samwell smiled to himself as he thought about it. "Father, what are you thinking about that makes you smile so?" Samwell gazed down at his eldest son with another smile. "I'm thinking about your mother. And you. And your brother and how wonderful it is to have my family." The boy was satisfied with the answer and turned back to his toys.

You came into the room and sat next to your husband of many years. You snuggled into Samwell's side and opened your book. "Hello, my love," he greeted you, gently kissing your temple before returning to his own book. This was the life Samwell pictured for himself. A happy home. From the corner of his eye, Samwell could see you occasionally peeking over the top of your book to check on the children. When you saw they were still playing quietly, you would cuddle closer to your husband, making him grin.

You felt your husband close his book and you looked up to meet his eyes and see his sweet smile. He pressed an adoring kiss to your lips and then another before you both laughed quietly and turned back to your books. A yawn caught your attention, followed by another. You and Samwell shared a look, having a silent conversation with each other as you both got up and directed your boys to their rooms.

A few moments later, the two of you had returned to your place by the fire. Once again, you curled up next to Samwell, book in hand. You read for a while, but soon reading turned to talking with your husband. As you talked about your days, Samwell would continuously steal kisses, causing you to giggle and burrow deeper into his side. Even after all the years of marriage, Samwell still knew how to make you act like a love-sick girl.

"I love you, Y/N," he told you, as he did every night, "I do not care that we don't live in a castle with a thousand servants. I love you and our boys. I love the simple life we have." No matter how many times he said, it always made you feel like the happiest and most important woman in the world. You leaned up and kissed him once again. "And I love you, Sam. I love our life together and our family. I love that we sit here reading together while our boys play. This is where I belong. In your arms, by the fire." He laughed and pulled you in for a deep, breathtaking kiss.