|Chapter Nine|

______________________________
-Venice, Italy-
______________________________

"Run," Tris said. So they did. They sprinted to the nearest alley, and the waiter along with a security guard followed them.

They found a small canal bridge, and Four said, "Jump."

They jumped in together and came up quietly to see the waiter and guard nowhere to be found. And then they laughed.

The man at the gondola boat said, "Ah, gondola?"

"Yes," Tris said.

"No," Four said at the same time.

"Ah, yes, yes, my first customer! They assign me at this bridge and I tell them, 'No, no, no one will come to Gianno's bridge!' and look at me now! Oh, me madré will be so happy!"

"Um...," Tris said, "we don't have any money..."

The gondola man, Gianno, frowned. "Well, then, I'm sorry. No ride."

"But, sir," Tris said, "you see, we're newlyweds." She looked at Four, hoping he'd play along. "Right? Right, honey?" She kissed his cheek.

"That's right, sweetums." That word sounded so peculiar in his British accent, but Tris loved it.

"Oh, I just adore you when you call me that."

There was silence until Gianno said, "Your love is beautiful." He looked flustered. "But no money, no ride."

"Please, sir, we were married against our parents' wishes," Tris said.

"We tried to stay apart, but it was no good," Four continued.

"Exactly. I would rather die than live another day so I didn't have to live with out my..."—Tris winced—"lover."

"We have nothing, but we have everything," Four said. It was quite beautiful though.

"We've come so far on nothing but the currency of young love," Tris said, touching a hand to her heart.

Four gave her a weird look, smiling, but she winked at him without Gianno noticing.

"Ah... Yes, the canal is free for you tonight."

"Thank you, thank you, sir. So much," Tris said as she and Four climbed into the boat.

Gianno stood behind them with the oar and said, "Ah, where does this go again?"

Four gave Tris a worried glance.

"Just kidding! I kid, I kid."

He began to move the boat.

"I think we did pretty good," Tris said, so Gianno wouldn't hear.

"I don't know. I got a little worried when you went so far as to the currency of young love," he chuckled.

"Hey, hey, we got by."

"True."

"You know," she said, "I just married you, but I know nothing about you."