|Chapter Twenty-Two|

______________________________
Tobias:
-London, England-

Tris:
-Holyhead, England-
______________________________

As Tobias held the phone to his ear, he regretted everything he told Tris. He wished he weren't even an agent any longer.

"This is Wu," Tori answered.

"Eaton reporting. Tris has gone AWOL."

Tori didn't say anything at first. "Where the hell is she?"

"Either she caught a train back to France, or she's on her was to Holyhead to get to Dublin. Where are you guys?"

"France. We'll wait at the train station for her if she's decided to come back. But you get to Holyhead as soon as possible. Understand?"

"Yes."

"How did she get away, anyway?"

He sighed and began walking toward the station. "She told me she was the First Daughter because she didn't think I knew, then I told her I was an agent."

"Eaton! That was strictly against the president's orders!" Tori scolded.

"She had a right to know!" he yelled back into the phone.

"You didn't even chase her when she ran?"

"Of course I chased her. She got into a cab though."

"Dammit, Eaton."

Tobias arrived at the train station and saw the next listing for Holyhead. "The next train that leaves London to Holyhead is at 3 o'clock. Bloody hell. Can't you guys, like, make them shut off the ferry service to Dublin?"

"Eaton. She's the First Daughter. Not a criminal."

He let out a frustrated breath. "I'm sorry, guys. This is all my fault. I never should've told her."

"You're right though, Four. I never really did agree with Mrs. Prior about you staying with Tris, being deceptive and all that..."

"I quit," Tobias said sternly. "I'm done."

"I'm sorry?" she asked, as if she didn't hear.

"I quit this job. I'm not doing this anymore. This is the final feather that breaks the camels back. So, as of now, I am no longer working for U.S. government. And I mean that with all due respect."

"So you're just quitting?" she asked incredulously. "You can't just quit!"

"You can't just give up looking for her. That's not who you are."

"I'm still looking for her. Except this time I'll be looking for her because she's my friend, not my assignment."

And then Tobias hung up on her. He bought the ticket for Holyhead, then headed back to his mum's house.

Tobias wasn't really capable of comprehending anything other than the fact that he had to find Tris. He didn't care that he was, as of now, unemployed. He didn't care about anything other than making sure she was okay. Tris was his number one priority as of then, and he wasn't going to let anything else occur to him. He. Didn't. Care. There was no way he was going to leave Tris out there all alone. No way.

Along the way, he received a phone call. "Eaton," he mumbled, not exactly in the best mood.

"Where's Tris?" he asked. "Who's this?"

"This must be Caleb. I'm Four, the secret service agent that's—up until now—been watching over your sister. I went undercover and pretended to be just be a guy."

"And where's she now?"

"Ah, yeah... She's gone rogue."

"I'm sorry?"

"Calm down. She found out that I was an agent and went ballistic. She ran away and right now she's on her way to Dublin. I'm catching a train in a few hours to find her. I'm sure she's fine."

Caleb's voice was in distress over the phone. "What do you even mean? I thought she was alone the whole time."

Tobias's eyes got somewhat bigger. "Your mother hasn't told you?"

"Told me what?" he asked nervously.

Tobias sighed. Their mother sure did keep a lot of secrets. "She called me personally and told me to stay with Tris in Paris. She also made she sure to tell me to not let Tris know who I am. What your mother didn't know was that Tris would storm off into nine other countries in Europe. And what I didn't know is that I was supposed to stop her from leaving Paris. Your mother left that part out."

"I can't believe..."

"Do not tell your mother I am telling you any of this. Understand, Mr. Prior?"

"Please don't call me Mr. Prior. I'm eighteen. Just call me Caleb."

"Got it. And... If you don't mind me asking... Did you find the acceptance letter for Tris to KCL?"

"Sure did. I can't believe Mom did that. It only makes me wonder how many other secrets she's kept, you know?"

Tobias nodded, even though he knew Caleb couldn't see him. "Yeah. I do."

"Okay. Well, please just find Tris and tell her about this."

"All right. Good day, Caleb." Tobias began to hang up, but Caleb added:

"Oh, and Four?"

"Thank you for protecting my sister when I can't."

• • • •