|Chapter Fifteen|

______________________________
-Amsterdam, Netherlands-
______________________________

Tris and Tobias arrived in Amsterdam at 6 A.M. They just got off the train there, and Tris immediately started going toward the direction of the Anne Frank House. She was just going off of the pamphlet she'd gotten on the train.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Tobias asked unsurely.

"Positive," she said, then bit her lip.

She only know French, Italian, and English, obviously. She only knew French and Italian because of her mother's political affairs, but no Dutch. Dutch was the national language of the Netherlands, and Tris had absolutely no clue what anything meant.

"Er... Do you know Dutch?" she asked, chuckling.

He laughed. "Absolutely not."

She sighed. "I'm trying to figure out the address. Help?" she asked.

He leaned over her shoulder. "Well, it looks like we're on Keizersgracht. We need to make a right on Leliegracht, then left on Prinsengracht. Then we're there."

"Too many 'gracht's, dude. Why can't the world just have one language? It'd make life so much easier."

"That's actually a pretty good point there," he chuckled.

She shrugged and dramatically flipped one of her pigtails over her shoulder, as if she were all that, and said, "I know."

They arrived at the Anne Frank House at 6:30 A.M.

"What?" Tris exclaimed. "They don't open till nine!"

"There's a café across the street, maybe we can chill there for two and a half hours. I don't know about you, but I need a freakin' coffee."

Tris groaned. "Fine."

So they walked across the street to the café that had an incredibly weird Dutch name and ordered a coffee for themselves. They sat down at the table that had just two seats. The waiter quickly brought out their drinks, and Tris thought Tobias had an evil look on his face.

"Tris. I have an idea."

Her eyes widened. "You look villainous. I don't like it."

"I'm not up to no good. I just have an idea I think you'd like. C'mon." Tobias stood up, leaving Tris alone at the table. She quickly followed, coffee in hand, and found him outside.

He led her over to the canal and raised his arm to canal man, hailing him.

"Tobias, I need to save my money. We've still got London, Dublin, and then back to Paris."

"I've got this covered," he said, smiling.

"No way. You've paid for so much—"

"Tris. Stop talking. He's already pulling over to us."

She just sighed. Either this guy was rich, or someone supplied him with money. Either way, he had money.

She and Tobias were the only ones on the boat besides the driver.

The driver started to steer boat, leaving Tris and Tobias to each other.

"I wish you'd let me pay," Tris said.

"Oh, stop complaining. Isn't this, like, every girl's dream?"

She smiled. "I guess. But I don't like to consider myself a part of the large population that is normal. Plus it's much more romantic in Venice," she pointed out. "At least I thought it was."

He nodded. "Yeah. It's because it was dark out."

"Well, that," she chuckled, "and that fact that you kissed me."

"Minor detail...," he said, scratching his jaw.

She laughed, but said, "Are you okay? You seem kind of... blah. I don't know. What's on your mind?"

He shook his head and looked at the water. "Nothing."

"You are a big, fat liar. Tell me."

He sighed. "I've just been thinking."

"About...?" she pressed.

"How we only have today, London, and Dublin," he said with a shrug. "Just kind of depressing to think about."

"I know," she said. "But we'll spend a day here, two in London, if that's all right with you, and then a day in Dublin. Then we'll see a little of each other in France at the festival. Then I have to go home. And maybe... there's still KCL..."

"And what are the chances of you actually contacting me?"

Tris rolled her eyes and sighed. "Obviously I'm going to try."

"Doubt it," he whispered.

She was somewhat angry at him. "Why do you say that?" Tris asked.

He just shook his head, clearly stating he wasn't going to tell.

"Whatever," she said, then turned toward the ferryman. "Say, don't you get a lot of business the summer? Or is today just slow?"

"Today is national holiday," the man said in a Dutch accent. "Everything closed."

Tris's mouth dropped. "So all the museums... the zoo?"

He nodded.

"You've got to be joking."

"I do not kid."

"Oh my god," Tris mumbled.

"Looks like we're going to London today," Tobias sighed.

"Wait," said Tris. "I have another idea."

• • • •
Hey guys! To those of you who read Snow Crush, I am so sorry I didn't update. I know I've basically made up every excuse in the book, I'm not even going to sugar coat it. Just know that I did intend to update but I just never finished writing the chapter and I've been running low on inspiration lately. And one more thing, I will be updating this Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks for reading! :•)