Part 26

Part 26

Time flies when you're having fun, or when the uncertainty of your fate is hanging over your head like a double-edged sword. Not to mention the fact that time flies when the only thing you want is to spend more time with the one you love. Suddenly, one week starts to feel like two days, while you are desperate for more time, there is none you can get. And the worst part is, it's all your fault.

It had been four days since I had given the letter to Antonio to deliver it to Roberto and now only three days remained until Roberto would come and a brutal Mafia war would take place. I had been on the edge of my sanity for the past four days, almost spilling my guts to Severin on a few occasions. And the fact that Severon was being incredibly nice to me did not bode well for my plans. I wanted to hate him, but I couldn't, not when he would do random brotherly things. Like yesterday, I was staring at the T.V screen not paying attention to the contents when Severon came with soda and popcorn. He slipped a CD inside the DVD player and sat down next to me handing me a soda and a bucket of popcorn. When I turned to look at him with confusion he merely shrugged and told me we should watch a movie. And that was how we ended up watching Deadpool until Severin came, plucked me up from the couch and told Severon to get his own girl to watch movies with.

Now I was standing in the kitchen, staring at the shiny knife with a sick fascination. I really wanted to tuck it under my dress but I had two problems. One, I had no place to tuck the blunt knife in my dress, and second, the head of the maids was going to count the number of knives at the end of the day—like she always did—and if she found a knife missing, there would be hell to pay. So with a dejected sigh, I placed the knife back to its original place.

"Hello." I jumped at hearing Severon's voice. I turned around to see him standing against the kitchen door.

"Hi." I breathed out then cursed myself for being so jittery.

"Are you okay? You're kind of...jumpy," Severon stated.

"Yes, I'm fine, what are you doing here?" I asked him.

"Do you know how to make brownies?" He enquired.

"Uh, I guess, why?" Here I was worrying about my future and he wanted to know whether I knew how to make brownies?!

"Would you mind making some for me, I'm craving brownies," Severon replied.

"I guess." My brows furrowed. "Sure, I'll make some brownies for you." I smiled at him; I would bake brownies for Severon before I killed him, it might lessen the guilt that was growing in my core by the minute.

"Thanks." He turned to leave but I stopped him.

"Severon?" He turned around to look at me. "Where is Severin? I haven't seen him all day," I enquired.

"He is busy in his study, he's dealing with business and other things," he answered.

"Oh okay, I'll make some brownies for him, too; by the way, is your business over?" I questioned.

"What business?" Severon slipped his hands in his pockets.

"The one you were conducting on your private island with the woman," I clarified.

"Who told you I was with a woman?"

"Uh...no one..." I trailed off.

"How did you know I was with a woman?" He repeated.

"Severin told me you were conducting business with a person who was giving you a hard time, so I guessed that it was a woman, that's all," I responded, opening the cupboards to take out the ingredients to make brownies.