Abandonment

All the hurt that Serena had felt, for the past five years, have suddenly vanished. Her face lit up into a smile. She quickly got to her feet and rushed to the love of her life, as she tackled him to the ground.

"I knew it was you!" she yelled hysterically. "I just knew it was you! The way you battled, the look in your eyes, the way you talked! No one could ever come close to copying you!"

She began to cry again, as she wrapped her arms around the young man, who she was lying on top of. She buried her head into his chest, as she felt his arms encase her in a hug that she hadn't felt in a very long time. Her body took it in, as if it was a drug it craved, but had gone so long without. She felt the warmth, from the trainer, entrap her. For the first time, in five years, she was truly happy.

"I missed you so much, Serena," Ash said through happy laughs. He had missed her hugs, and to him, this was five years in the making. However, he knew that there was still unfinished business to take care of.

"I missed you too, Ash," Serena chuckled as she got off of him and helped Ash up from the ground. "I have been so miserable, in these last five years, without you but now you're back! Things can go back to normal! Everyone will be so excited to see yo-"

"That can't happen yet."

Serena's expression went from joy to despair, in a matter of seconds. She gave a nervous chuckle. "Wh-What do you mean? They will want to know that you're alive! They have been hurting for five years!"

"I can't tell them yet because I have business to take care of first. Giovanni is still alive. He's competing in this tournament, so I have to beat him," Ash said as he put a hand on Serena's shoulder, only to be shrugged off.

"After all this time, you're still chasing that monstrous, selfish bastard?" Serena asked with a hurtful tone in her voice.

"Yes, I am." Ash sternly stated.

"After everything he has put you through," Serena again began to feel tears make their way down her soft cheeks. "After five years of living who knows where, you're still trying to bring him down? Tell Lance and the G-Men! It's their job, not yours!"

"It is my job!" Ash's eyes moved down. He couldn't watch her cry again, not the tears of pain he saw. "They couldn't stop him, the first time, and if they start looking around, it will only spook him and he'll be gone. If I can beat him in the finals, with all his Pokémon knocked out; then maybe, the G-Men can corner him, in the stadium, before he can escape. I need to do this, Serena."

"You need to do this?" Serena shouted as she backed away from Ash. "You need to do this?! What about us?! What about May, Dawn, Max, Brock, Misty, Trevor, and the others? They've been missing you for five years! What about me?! Huh?! How do you think I feel about all of this?!"

Ash's eyes slowly moved back up to meet her gaze. "Serena, I don't expect you to understand."

"You're right about that," she chuckled nervously. "I don't understand, Ash! You're isolating yourself from all the people who care about you. From those who had love you the most, like me!"

"I can't put you in harm's way again!" Ash said as his confidence began to falter. He was now speaking nervously. He didn't imagine the conversation going downhill as it has now. "When we were in that burning building and Giovanni had you imprisoned, I was a wreck. I promised myself that I wouldn't let that happen again. If I stayed away from you and the others, I thought, maybe, you'd be safe. Giovanni would think I was dead, and then, he would leave you alone. I made a decision and I had stuck with it."

Serena rushed to the boy and gave him a hug, as she felt her emotions taking over her. She released herself and began to beat on his chest. "This isn't fair! It isn't fair! After five years of so much pain, you're right here! You're right in front of me, and yet, things can't be the same because you made a choice!" Her strikes had turned into trembling as she continued. "You never once asked us what we thought, what we fucking wanted! I would have followed you to the top of Mt. Silver or down, to the gates of hell, just so I could be with you! We all would have! Yet, you made the choice for us! All of us! It isn't fair!"

Ash's heart was gone by this point. Whatever was left, it was crushed as he looked at the trembling performer before him. He tried to bring her into a hug, only to be pushed away.

"No, Ash!" she spat. "I can't look at you, right now! Do what you have to do, but right now, you'll have to do it without me! I can't look at you right now! Just, leave me alone!"

With those words, Serena sprinted away from the clearing, leaving a shell-shocked Ash in her wake.

Ash looked on until the shock wore off. He realized what just happened and took off after her. He was desperate to not lose her again. The thought of living without her, for another five years, let alone the rest of his life, is giving Ash more anxiety than what he is dealing with now.

---

All of Ash's friends were standing, in the lobby, with Pikachu and Lucario, as they heard the doors of the lobby open, while revealing a crying Serena.

"Serena!" Dawn shouted as she ran toward the young woman. "How did things . . . ," her voice trailed off, as she noticed the condition her friend was in.

Trevor, as he was witnessing Serena's reaction unfold, with shock and horror being expressed across his face, while also worrying for both Ash and Serena. Oh no. Ash...Serena...Why?

Dawn glared at Ash, who now was wearing his mask and hood as he entered. "What the fuck did you do to her?!"

"Serena, please!" Ash began to plead.

"No, just leave me alone!" Serena exclaimed as she ran to the stairs.

The group stood in shock, before turning to Ash, who had a look of utter defeat in his eyes.

"What did you fucking do to her?" Misty questioned furiously. "She has been through so much heartbreak, and you, just have to come along and make things even worse?! You son of a-"

Misty was stopped when she noticed firm hands on her shoulders. She looked to see Gary and Trevor, looking calmly, between the group and Ash. They both knew what had happened because they were the only ones that knew the truth. Gary and Trevor looked at Ash, as noticed tears, flowing down from his eyes.

"Not so fast there, Misty." Gary began. "I believe Aaron didn't have the intention to hurt Serena. Is that correct?" He received a slow nod in response.

Gary gave a weak smile before he continued. "I think it's best if we all remain calm and try to be reasonable here. Sometimes, things happen. Emotions get in the way and people get hurt, even when no malevolent intent was there in the first place. Now, I think I'll go up and talk to Serena, for a bit. Ok?"

"What? Why you?" May asked with confusion in her voice.

"First of all, out of everyone here, I and Trevor are the only ones, who are emotionally stable and," he looked at Ash before continuing, "I think I know what to say to help her. Trevor, you should take Aaron out for a walk, to help him clear his head." Gary made his way to Trevor, who nodded in agreement, before making way to Ash. He placed a hand on Ash's shoulder and gave a small smile. "You have a big match tomorrow, which you need to win, and frankly, I would hate to see you lose. Now, go on and let's get some fresh air."

Ash slowly nodded as he turned and made his way out the lobby doors, with Trevor following him. Ash began to wander aimlessly through Silph Village, with Trevor next to him, along with Pikachu and Lucario at his side.

Gary sighed, before turning to the rest of the group. "I will be back down shortly. Stay here and don't worry about either of them. They'll be fine." Gary left the group and made his way to the elevator.

When the elevator came to the floor, where the girls were staying on, he exited. He found their room, without a problem, and was about to knock, when he heard crying on the other end. He took a deep breath in, preparing himself for the emotional wreck that he was about to be put through, and knocked on the door.

He heard a mumbled sound, from inside, before he spoke up. "Serena, it's Gary Oak. We need to talk."