Chapter Six

Kiana Fray

After that awkward short conversation with Alec I made my way to the training room where we met up with Clary and Jace. We stood outside a cube where a man was training with a girl.

"Who is that guy," Clary and I ask at the same time.

"That's Hodge Starweather, our weapons trainer. And more important for us, a former circle member. After the uprising, Hodge repented and was sent to live and work here to make amends. But he's forbidden to ever leave the Institute," Jace explained.

We all watched as Hodge had broke the girls stick in half and sent her a small teasing smile.

"Bloody hell, that was amazing," I applaud.

He then approached us and looked at both Clary and I. His eyes widen at my appearance then shifted to Clary's.

"Jocelyn," he spoke.

Clary looked at me and I shrug my shoulders.

"Uh, I'm Clary, Jocelyn Fray is my mother," Clary said.

"Mine as well," I said.

"Well, she was Jocelyn Fairchild when I knew her," Hodge said. "And you look so much like never mind."

He knew me and Clary's parents when they were all younger. But how?

"Jocelyn was one of my best friends," Hodge said.

"She's been kidnapped by a man named Valentine and his men," I sigh.

"By the Circle, Hodge," Jace said.

I turn to look for Alec but he was gone.

"But that's impossible," Hodge said. "Valentine's dead and the Circle died with him."

Hodge then began to choke and hold his circle rune around his neck.

"What's happening," Clary asked.

"Isn't it obvious, he isn't allowed to speak of what happened between him, the Circle or Valentine. It's one of the Clave's punishment's for you isn't it," I ask.

Hodge nodded.

"Well we can't ask him any more questions, I am not risking his life for this we will find another way," I sigh. "This is torture."

"If the Circle really is back... and they've taken Jocelyn. Our leader of the Circle was Valentine Morgenstern," Hodge winced.

"Hodge please you're hurting yourself," I said sincerely.

"We thought he wanted to protect humans, like all Shadowhunters. But we never realized the lengths which Valentine was willing to go the people he was willing to sacrifice. Most of humanity would die if we carried out Valentine's plan," Hodge said.

"But I still don't understand," Clary stuttered. "Where does our mother fit into all of this?"

"Our mom was apart of the Circle wasn't she," I frowned.

"Jocelyn was a member of the Circle as well," Hodge sighed.

"No. I can't believe it. My mother she — " Clary stuttered.

"The important thing is that Jocelyn left the Circle. And so none of this even matters," Hodge said. "Because Valentine died in a fire years ago."

His flesh began to sear and he hissed in pain. I caught him in my arms and held him up.

"Hodge, you good," I ask.

"Fine just fine," He hissed.

"I'm sorry, but we can't ask you to do this," Clary and I said in unison.