Chapter Fifty Three

Kiana Branwell

"How'd it go with Aldertree," Alec asks.

"Well, the man didn't disappoint. In his own charming, inimitable way, he informed me that I will indeed be punished, but the form of punishment is yet to be decided," Magnus said.

"And you," Alec asks.

"Same as Magnus," I sigh.

"All for trying to save my life," Alec frowned.

"And I would do it again no matter the cost Alec," I said.  "I love you." 

 "Can we have a minute alone Magnus," Alec said. 

Magnus sent us a quick nod and walked away. Alec's hands held mine as he looks me in the eyes.

"Jace may have been the one who pulled me out, but I did feel you there. And it did make a difference. So... Thank you. Thank you for risking it all for me," Alec said.

"Thank you for not dying on me. I couldn't handle that, I can't handle anyone else dying on me," I sigh. "How is Jace?"

"He won't be gone long. Once his hand touches the Soul-Sword, the truth will come out... And prove that he's never been on Valentine's side. Look, um, I know that with everything that's been going on, I...We haven't had a chance to," Alec stammered.

"Go on that first date we never had," I ask.

"Right, yes," Alex smiled.

"Hungry," I ask. "I know a place that serves great pizza." 

"Starving," Alec chuckles.

"Hey, Alec and Kiana. Demon briefing in the ops center. All hands on deck," Raj said.

"My dear Raj... You look well," Magnus said sarcastically before smirking at us.

"Rain check," I chuckle.

"Yes, yeah," Alec stammered. "Is that okay?"

"When the world is safe of Valentine we will have that date," I smile. 

Soon enough I see Clary return back from the City of Bones. A frown sketched on her face.

"I should," I began.

"She's still your sister just as Jocelyn is still your mom," Alec said.

I kiss his cheek and approach Clary as does Jocelyn.

"Oh, Clary. I've been looking all over for you. I heard you went to see Jace. Is he all right," Jocelyn said.

"He's locked up in the City of Bones? How do you think he's doing? Look, we're late for this briefing, so can we just," I snap.

"Clary and Kiana, wait. There's something I have to tell you. The Clave is reassigning me to Idris," Jocelyn said.

Now I may be angry with her but I needed her here with us.

"What," Clary and I scoff. "Why?"

"I'm Valentine's ex-wife. I hid the Cup for 18 years. They're... Testing my loyalty," She said.

"But the Clave has to know that you're not on Valentine's side. Just tell them you'll prove your loyalty here," I said.

"I wish it were up to me. So it's either I go to Idris, or I run. And... I've done enough running," Jocelyn said.

"But we just got you back," Clary and I said.

"I know. That's why I want you two to come with me," Jocelyn said.