Chapter Twenty

Kiana Fray

I left the Institute and immediately call Simon. He answers as always and agrees to meet me at the soccer pitch. He comes closer with a bag of soccer balls and I send him a small smile. I pull him in for a hug and I know he was smiling.

"I've missed you Lewis," I chuckle.

Simon and I pull away from one another and he sets the balls up for us to kick. When Simon and I were younger this was just our thing and no one else was allowed. Not even Clary whom we included her in everything. It was a great stress reliever to us both and well it helped us think better. Simon sends me the signal and I harshly kick the balls into the net as Simon does the same. Once we finished Simon and I sat on the grass and he held my hand.

"What's going on in that head of yours," Simon asks.

"Isabelle and Alec's mother is back and no offense but she is like Ursula from the Little Mermaid," I chuckle.

"That bad huh," Simon smiled.

I nodded.

"Then Alec took the bracelet my mom gave me and the necklace mom gave Clary. We saw her Simon. She was alive and with that monster," I sob.

I hide my face in Simon's chest as he caresses my cheek.

"Your mom is tough," Simon said. "If she can put up with you she can put up with him."

I roll my eyes and smile at Simon's remark.

"This is different though, I would never hurt Jocelyn," I said.

I hold his hand in mine and notice the bags underneath his eyes.

"What's going on in your head," I whisper.

Our eyes connect with one another. Brown and Blue. I could feel his hot breath hit my lips and before I knew it the two of us kissed briefly before pulling away and laughing.

"That can never happen again," Simon chuckled.

"Agreed," I chuckled.

Simon and I rise up from the grass and collect the mess we made. We place the bag in Simon's van and sit in the back. Simon's phone went off just as mine did.

"It's Clary/Alec," we said in unison.

We both answer.

"Thank the angel you finally answered," Alec said.

"Listen if you're going to," I began.

"Clary left the Institute alone and I had to watch her and I don't know where she'd be," Alec said. "If I don't find her the Institute–"

I immediately end the call and grab Simon's phone out of his hands.

"Hey," Simon frowned.

"Clary, where the hell are you," I ask.

"Going to the loft, I think there's something mom left there, from dad," Clary said.

"The box," I ask.

"Yes," Clary said.

"We'll meet you there," I said.

"Don't tell Alec where I'm at," Clary said.

"Don't tell Alec what," Alec said.

The phone call ended and I handed Simon his phone back. I sent him a small smile as the two of us slam the van doors shut and climb to the front.

"Back to the hide out old chap," I chuckle.

Simon rolled his eyes and drove back to the old loft. We enter the alley way and I see that Clary and Alec are there. Alec's arrow pointed at me and I roll my eyes.