Chapter Thirty Eight

Kiana Branwell

Kiana Branwell

"All I know is we got to get you out of here," Alec said. "All right who do Isabelle and I know in Idris?"

"I don't know," I sigh. "The only people I know are your parents and well my never mind, anyways your parents are under suspicion themselves."

"Uh, what about Lydia," Alec asks.

I literally scoff.

"Lydia," I ask with disgust.

"Yeah," Alec said.

"Why do you keep going there," I snap. "She is prosecuting me. You said she had no choice."

"She doesn't," Alec said.

"I see what she's doing, she's trying to kick me out of the picture like her and her family have done long ago," I snap. "Everyone has a choice, Alec. I made mine. Let me just get through this without losing my self-respect."

I rise from the couch and walk near the door and turn my back on Alec.

"Look I know you don't want to believe this," Alec sighs. "But Lydia said she would help if we give her a way to do it. Maybe I can get her to delay the trial."

"Why," I scoff as I turn to face Alec. "So I can sit here playing computer solitaire, while they find something else to blame me for? I'm just a scapegoat to the Clave because of my sister having the fucking Cup. That's all they want is the Cup."

"So let me buy sometime to find it," Alec tries to reason. "Hey, Jace and Clary."

"Disappeared through a door to God knows where," I snap. "You said they're lost forever and so is the Cup."

I wish I could tell Alec where they were but not even I knew where they were. I sat down at the edge of the couch. What if they didn't make it back in time?

"What if I was wrong," Alec asks. "I can't find Jace because I weakened our bond, but that doesn't mean he can't be found, or that he can't find us. We need more time."

"You're grasping at straws now," I ask in disbelief.

Alec crouched down next to me and held my hand in his.

"Kay, listen. I'm the person you know you love with all your heart. Please, let me help you for once," Alec whispers.

I gave him a small and brief nod and sighed. I hid my face in my hands and didn't try to hide the tears from falling.

"I'm so sorry for the way I have been acting," I sob.

Alec rubs my back and I felt his chin touch my hair as he held me in his arms.

"I would act the same way if I were in your position," Alec admitted.

I move away from him and sit at the opposite side of the couch.