Chapter Thirty Three

Kiana Branwell

Alec and I return back to the Institute. Neither of us speak to one another of the events that happened. I join Isabelle in the surveillance room and she sent me a small smile.

"You're here," she whispered.

"I came back for you Isabelle, I have a feeling things are going to get interestingly dramatic here," I said.

As if on cue, Lydia walked in with guards.

"I'm sorry," she apologised to Alec.

Raj approached Isabelle and I. I looked Isabelle in the eyes and shook my head.

"Isabelle Lightwood, by order of the Clave, you are under arrest for high treason," Lydia said.

I clenched my fists at the Malibu Barbie wannabe boyfriend stealing sister of mine.

"On what grounds Lydia," I snapped.

"Only a handful of people knew about the Meliorn operation," Lydia said.

"And everyone knows she's sleeping with him," Raj smirked.

I punched Raj's face for making a crude remark about Isabelle. 

"Get out of here Raj," I snapped. 

"You know what, Lydia? You're no better than Valentine. But at least he had the guts to tell Downworlders to their faces he wanted them all dead," Isabelle said. "You hide behind the law."

"I don't hide behind it, Isabelle. I simply follow it," Lydia sighed. "Because it guards against one very important thing, Shadow hunters fighting other Shadow hunters."

"If she's convicted, she'll be stripped of her runes and banished," Alec said. "I can't let that hap-"

"Don't, it's not your fight," Isabelle said handing her Steele over.

"She's right this isn't your battle Alec, besides big sister, Isabelle did nothing wrong, it was all me," I said. "I was the one who planned everything out. I executed it alone because I am a boss ass bitch." 

Lydia raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

"It was you," Lydia asked. "It couldn't have been, you're my  little sister."

"Strip me of my runes and banish me, I don't care, there's nothing here holding me back," I snapped. "I have a career and college to do once I forget about this place." 

"I don't want to do this, guards, take her away," Lydia sighed.

The guards came and got me. They led me to a room and shoved me inside. I took my phone out and texted Luke.

Me : Well, I'm arrested.

My phone immediately buzzed.

Luke : What? Why? Again?

Me : My 'big sister' was pinning the attack on Isabelle so I told her it was me. If I lose this court thing I'll be stripped of my runes and banished.

Luke : Over my dead body.

Me : We don't want that. It's fine. I'm fine and everything is fine Luke. I promise. Besides I need someone to keep me safe from the demons without my angelic superpowers. 

Luke : Hang in there kiddo.

"I will Luke. I will," I whispered.

Alec Lightwood

"Why did she do that," I groaned.

"Because even after you hurt her, the love she has for our family never stopped. She did this to protect me and our family name like what you're trying to do to restore it," Isabelle explained.

"We need to help her," I said.

"How," Isabelle asked.

"I'll call Jace and tell him to hand over the Cup. Maybe, if we hand over the Cup, Lydia will let her go," I explained.

We both watched the surveillance camera and saw Lydia enter Kiana's 'room'. Lydia sat across Kiana.

"Why'd you do it," Lydia asked.

"Why'd you say yes to an engagement to my boyfriend," Kiana spat.

Lydia's eyes widened. Kiana rolled her eyes and extended her legs across the couch.

"I didn't know," Lydia said.

"You didn't know or you just didn't care," Kiana spat. "Just how you and your parents didn't care. Maryse told me that Alec and I were inseparable as kids. So why'd they ship me off to Mundane world. Why'd she make me live the Mundane life and feel so alone in life. I play soccer, I've applied for colleges. I lived a whole other life but still felt like I was missing something oh yeah. My real family. Do you know how worthless I'd feel when kids from my team hugged their family after games do you know what I did ? I walked home all alone thinking about why my real family didn't want me."

Lydia reached for Kiana but she slapped Lydia's hands away.

"Don't or I will do something I won't regret," She warned.

"I really do love you Kiana. You're my little sister and I can't stand to see you in here but orders are orders. I will try to help you but," Lydia began.

"I don't need help from the people who've hurt me the most," she spat. "Now please leave me to my thoughts and return to your job."

"I am truly sorry," Lydia said.

"Talk to the hand," Kiana spat.

"Sassy Kiana is back," Isabelle sighed.