Chapter Thirty

Kiana Fray

Punch after punch my knuckle began dripping with my own blood. The pain on my arm and back was nothing compared to the pain I felt in my heart. I can't help but think that Jace was right. To love is to destroy. To be loved is to be destroyed. It wasn't Alec's fault. It was mine. I trusted him enough to love with my heart. Maybe Jace was right to listen to your head instead of your heart. Emotions cloud judgement. I angrily shook my head and wiped away the single tear that rolled down my face.

"Kiana," Isabelle said.

I remained silent afraid that instead of words coming out tears would. Speaking of which. I quickly wiped away the tears that decided to defy my choices and fall from my eyes. I turned around and saw Isabelle with a sad expression on her face.

"If you're here to talk about your brother, don't bother. I'm not even hurt. He's just a stupid boy," I said. "Boys hurt everyone." 

"I'm not happy with him either. But I want you to know he cares about you a lot," Isabelle said.

I scoffed.

"Oh does he now? If he cared he could've at least told me one on one instead of announcing it to the world. He could've told me he didn't want to be with me," I spat.

Third Rule of Shadow hunting - Listen to your head and not your heart. Emotions cloud judgement.

"Jace was right," I sigh.

"Care to repeat that," Isabelle asked.

"The third rule of Shadow hunting, to listen to your head instead of your heart. Emotions cloud judgement," I said.

"That's not true," Isabelle said.

"Look where emotions got me Isabelle. I'm weak," I snapped.

It grew silent between Isabelle and I as we watched as Meliorn was being forced to sit on a chair on one of the surveillance computers.

"This is insane. We have to put a stop to this," Isabelle said.

"Yeah, well, enjoy portal long back to Idris with mom," Alec said sarcastically.

He and Jace both entered the room. I kept my attention to the screen and clenched my fists. I wanted nothing to do with Alec. Liar. I wanted Alec more than anything. He hurt you. I felt someone place a hand on my shoulder and I flinched. Judging from the scent of peppermint it was Alec. I shrug his hand away.

"Can we talk this out like adults instead of ignoring me like a child," Alec asked.

"Is there anyway we can stop my tyrant of a sister," I asked, clearly ignoring Alec.

"No. Alec's right. There's nothing that we can do to stop this interrogation," Jace answered.

I scoffed.

"Out of all the times you pick to agree with Lightwood, it has to be now," I spat.

"We did swear to protect one another so we have to be on each other's side," Alec remarked.

I ignored him once again and pulled my phone out to play with it. I went on Instagram and scrolled through my news feed.

"Kiana, this is the part where you say something sassy, then you punch me and we laugh about it," Alec said.