Chapter 17 - part 2

So I read a flashpoint fanfic once like this sorta and I liked the idea. I can't find the author of it though and don't even remember which fanfic site it was on, but whoever had that idea, *inserts credit to them here. You're an amazing writer.*
- @taylorann_1426

I keep a tight grip on the steering wheel as we drive to the collage. "Spike will be fine." Leah reassures to me. "I know he will be fine. I just am holding back the urge to punch Sam." I mumble. Leah smirks and laughs at that. "For a girl who doesn't fight much, you want to punch Sam? You have guts." Leah says smiling. I shrug. "Give me a reason and I will." I mutter. We get on scene and hop out. I don't have Babycakes so I grab my bag and the handheld scanner and walk over to the "suspicious package". The thing looks innocent enough from the outside, it's wrapped like a brown paper package, a big paper package at that.

The snow is starting to blow hard now and I am thankful that I have so many layers on, problem is, I can't work with gloves on. I scan the package and then grab my tactical knife and carefully open it. It is definitely a bomb. A fortress of a device that has two mini gasoline canisters attached to each side of the timer, two things of C4 and lastly, 4 wires. "What are we looking at Stone?" Ed asks. The whole team, minus Spike, are standing near the cars with there coffee and trying to stay warm. They are a good 200 yards away by my orders. I explain what the bomb is and then demand radio silence.

I take my gloves off, find my cutters and search for the wires that connect to the gasoline canisters. My hands are shaking. They are slightly shaking, but still. It is something. I try to cut the wire but I can't do it. My hands are to cold, the timer says 15 minutes. I have to get myself together. I blow hot air onto my hands, but by the time my breath reaches the air it's not hot. I check my watch, it also tells the temperature. The temperature is 10 degrees. I let out a silent curse and continue working on warming my hands as my mind races through how to disarm the rest of the bomb so it doesn't take that long. I hear a few bits of commotion over the coms and turn it off on my end.

"What is she doing? It's been 5 minutes of silence. I think she turned us off." Sam mutters. "She knows what she's doing." The boss states. "I'm gonna go down there and see how's she's doing. It is freezing out. She's probably cold." Ed points out. "Eddie you know she and Spike's rules...." The boss starts. "One person down range. I'm the team leader. Isn't it my job to break those rules?" Ed asks jokingly. He puts his coffee down and starts his way towards where I am. I hear someone coming up from behind me and I frown. "You guys should know the rules." I mumble as I rub my hands together. The timer says 12 minutes. Ed sees the timer and then sees my shaking hands that I'm trying to warm. "Put your gloves back on Stone." Ed says softly. "Ed...." I start. "Tell me what to do." He says kneeling down near the bomb and I. I sigh and put my gloves back on. "This is my job Ed, I should be able to do this in my sleep and wether it's 100 degrees out or -15." I say to him. "Mhmh. Everyone has there limits Taylor. Now are we going to disarm this bomb or not?" Ed asks. He felt nervous himself. He wondered if this is what Taylor felt.

I tell Ed exactly what to do as I put my gloves back on, they are still shaking under the gloves. We get the bomb disarmed with 5 minutes to spare and Ed helps me up. "I think I'll keep my job. I don't think I'll be wanting to switch to being a bomb tech any time soon...." He chuckles. I smile at that. He puts an arm around my shoulder. "How about we go warm up, change, and then see Spikey, alright?" Ed says. I nod. We meet back up with the team and then head off to the station as the bomb disposal crew arrive on scene.

An hour later I'm changed and sipping warm coffee as I wait for Ed. I check my watch, it's 3AM. I yawn. Ed walks over. "You know, I have my own car, I can go pick up Spike on my own." I point out to Ed. "Ever think that I'd like to make sure my bomb tech and tactical technician is alright too?" Ed says smiling. "You look like you could fall asleep any second now. I'm driving and going with you. Now let's go, kiddo." Ed says smirking. I don't argue and head off to the hospital with Ed.

"There she is! And Ed! Nice surprise." Spike says sitting in the lobby of he ER area. "I wondered when you would show up." He jokes. "Someone give you morphine or are you always this cocky?" I joke back. Spike rolls his eyes. "Nope. No morphine. Like I need morphine..." Spike mutters. "How'd the bomb call go?" Spike asks. "Taylor did amazing as always Spikey." Ed says lying to cover my butt. I look over to argue, but Ed just puts a hand on my shoulder. "How about we get going?" Ed asks.

I get Ed to let me drive him home and then Spike and I head to our apartment. "Tay?" Spike asks as we lay in bed, about to go to sleep. "Will you marry me?" Spike asks. "Are you sure you aren't on morphine?" I ask kinda shocked by the question, trying to process it. "I'm not on morphine Taylor.
I swear. I know it's not what you imagined for me asking you to marry me..." Spike starts. I kiss Spike. "Yes I'll marry you." I state. Spike looked at me incredulously. Then he kisses me back and we fall asleep together.