Chapter 21 - part 2

Okay so I may have lied a bit, but tried to make up for it.
- @taylorann_1426

"Raf you are with Stone, determine the status of the package and if it really is an explosive device, Taylor. Spike, command truck, Jules and Sam work on evac, Ed with me." The boss says as we arrive on scene. "Copy that." We all say. It is my turn on bomb duty again and I am giddy about it almost. I'd be ecstatic if it weren't for the fact that a few weeks ago we'd lost Leah to a bomb. "Come on Babycakes." I say using the remote to maneuver the bomb robot out of the back of the SUV. "Who named the robot?" Raf asks laughing. I don't laugh back. "Spike found her in the back storage room at the station and worked on her until she was like new. He named her Babycakes because it was sort of a joke on the fact that the team thought he'd never get a girlfriend." I state. "So Babycakes was Spike's girlfriend per say." I point out. Raf just shakes his head and laughs.

We head inside the building and down to the basement. "ETA until you are with the package?" The boss asks, standing over Spike's shoulder in the command truck. "3 minutes." I state checking my watch. Spike tenses up as he watches me over the video feed approach the package with Babycakes. "Scanning now." I state going through the full check list of what could possibly make it an actual bomb. "So what do you do when you approach a package like this?" Raf asks me. "Evaluate, neutralize, and hopefully not detonate." I say reading over the results of the suspicious package. "Guys we have a bomb. There are no anti handling measures, no poisons, gasses, bio hazards, I'm going in manual." I state taking off my gloves. My hands are shaking slightly. I bite my lip. "Aright. Be careful Taylor." Ed states. "What happened to Leah wasn't your fault Taylor." The boss points out, I think he can tell by my voice and demeanor that I am nervous. "I know." I say trying to make myself believe his words. "One person down range." I state to Raf, and then grab my tool-bag and approach the bomb.

Raf looks down at the screen on Babycakes remote, she is still sending live updates of the device. "Taylor. Something just spiked." He says. "What something?" I ask starting to head back to see what he's talking about. "Active explosive!" Raf says seeing the big flashing "active explosive" light go on. I start to run, but it's to late. I am thrown against the basement wall of the CMC building, coughing, I try to see through the dust that has formulated. I take an inventory and realize my ribs are badly bruised at the most. I try and get up, but pain shoots through my side because of my ribs.

"Taylor? You alright?" I hear Raf ask. He shines a flashlight in my direction. I quickly scramble for my com and flashlight, but wince as I do. "I'm alright." I lie, finding my com and putting it into my ear. I hear voices yelling over the other end. "RAF! TAYLOR!" The boss, Ed, Spike, Jules and Sam yell. I don't know how long they have been yelling it until I check my watch. 2 minutes. "We are alright." I state. There is a collective sigh over the com. "We are on our way down right now to find an opening to get you guys out. Just stay put. Are either of you hurt?" Ed asks. "Just some bruised ribs for me." I say. "I'm alright. Some scratches." Raf reassures. "Let me take a look at your ribs." Raf states getting up and kneeling down next to me. I am sitting against the wall. Every breath gives me pain and I try to regulate my breathing better.

"Don't even say you are fine." Raf interjects before I can say a word in edge wise. "You know. I might actually like you newbie." I laugh. I shut my eyes, wincing. "I know what happened a few weeks ago. It wasn't your fault. I'm sorry about your teammate. Now, let's take a look." He says taking off my tac vest and feeling around near my ribs. "I think they are just bruised. It's going to hurt for a good 3 days though." He points out. "Not my first time." I smile. "Not surprised with your job." He smiles back.

The team find a way in 30 minutes later, Raf helps me up and we head out with the help of Ed, Jules and Sam. Spike and the boss meet us topside and take over on helping me. When I have given my statement of what  had happened and the team tell me they found the bomber, we all head back to the station. The follow up meeting, the boss says, will be in the morning and we should all go home and rest. I change and head out of the locker room. Raf is standing there on his phone. "I just want to say-" he starts. "I know and I just want to say thank you. For being there today and helping me. Leah would have been honored that you replaced her on the team." I say putting a hand on his shoulder. He just gives a kind of shocked look and I walk away. Leaving a speechless Raf in my wake.

Spike drives us back to our place and he helps me inside. "I'm gonna get a bath going for you okay?" He says. I kiss his cheek. "You're the best." I say smiling and laying down on the couch. By the time Spike comes back, I'm fast asleep on the couch. He picks me up and takes me to the bath and I yawn and wake up. "Bath time." He says kissing my cheek. I take a bath and then he carries me down the hall to our room. "I have legs you know." I point out. "Just lemme carry you alright?" He says smiling. I nod and  he lays me in bed, then grabs his phone. I fall asleep to the sound of him ordering us pizza.