Chapter 12 Hospitals

Hunter's POV

I watched as my best friend tried to sit up.

I watched as her eyes wider in horror, face going paler than a sheet.

I watched as her uncle pulled the trigger.

I watched as the bullet hit her body.

I watched as she crumpled to the ground, all life leaving her eyes.

I heard myself screaming no, but it didn't feel real.

I remember running over to her, not caring if I got shot to.

I remember the police hand-cuffing him and dragging him to the police cruiser.

I remember getting into the ambulance, holding her hand, reassuring myself that she was going to be ok.

I thought then, that it was a dream. That she had been hit by that bullet.

All of it. Just a bad nightmare. But I was so wrong.

And now I think, if I had moved and protected her, she wouldn't be in this condition.

That maybe, just maybe, if I had moved, she could still be awake, in my arms. Me comforting her, calming her down, saying it would be ok.

Or maybe I would be in her situation, fighting for my life in a hospital bed.

•••

All I could think about on the ambulance ride to the hospital was if she was going to make it.

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt moisture on my hands.

I didn't care at this point, my best friend was dying, right in front if me. Nad to make it worse I couldn't do anything about it.

I never let go of her hand. The whole ride I sat there, holding her hand, trying desperately to get her to wake up.

I knew I couldn't live without her. She was my rock. My inspiration. My best friend.

And to think, that I was finally going to do it. I was finally going to tell her how I felt about her.

When I told her I had a surprise for her, I had set up something for her that she may never see.

I was going to tell her tonight. I was going to ask her to be mine. Now that might never happen.

And now, if she doesn't wake up, she will never know how much I truly loved her. How much she meant to me.

As we pulled up to the hospital, I became much more worried.

The back doors opened and the EMTs began rolling her gurney into the hospital doors.

I ran along with them. One of them began talking to nurses and doctors. The rest were running to a room with the doctors along side if them.

I followed them for as far as I could and then a nurse held me back.

"Sir, please stay out here. I'm sure she will be fine. You can wait in the waiting room. My sincere apologies to you. I'll keep her in my prayers." she said as she guided me to the waiting room.

"Thank you." I said as I sat down.

I instantly pulled out my phone.

I dialed her mom's number.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Mr-s-s. Ba-k-ker. It's Taylor." I said through my sobs.

"Hunter? What's going on?"