Chapter Sixteen

"It's beautiful in the summer time." Stephen echoed as he admired his own pool peculiarly. I gave him a funny look, realizing this shimmering water was his prized possession. Mick and Keith stood on either side of me as I stopped in my tracks, beaming at the sight of this pretty little backyard. The pool area really was nice, and it wasn't just because of the crystal clear pool.
"He's been working on this area for months." Keith's voice rung in my ear, as he whispered to me. "It's his baby." I chuckled at his words, and I could see the disgusted expression on Mick's face. As much as I wanted to please everyone, it just wasn't an option. I grabbed Mick's motionless hand, and led him all around the pool leisurely. I wanted him to see that we didn't have to hurry anything. I guess being a rockstar, you get used to that hectic sort of lifestyle and the ever accelerating pace at which everything goes. It's like the world is in fast motion and all you see blurs before your eyes.
"We don't have to rush everything." I pulled Mick close to me, speaking softly into his ear. "Nothing lasts forever, sweets."

-

Lulu's house felt so empty stepping inside, and it seemed as though I hadn't stayed in it long enough after she left to realize. There it was, the unmistakable pain in my heart like I was missing something. I told myself it would hit me when I least expected.
"She's really gone." I let out a short sigh as the boys all stood around my living room creating various sounds with their instruments. It made me glad to see them making music again, it felt right.
"Don't look so gloomy, bird." I turned to face Keith who was burning a hole through me with his eyes from across the room.
"Just leave me to my despair." I chuckled a bit, plopping down onto the shag carpet which the brown coffee table rested upon. I would've written to Lu, but she didn't go into much detail about her whereabouts. Haley came out smirking from Lulu's bedroom suddenly.
"Man, I've never noticed before but her bed is really firm." Her eyes squinted as she moved over into the kitchen to pour herself a drink at 2 in the afternoon. We all knew how she figured that one out after Charlie waltzed out of the master bedroom, hugging her from behind. It made me feel bittersweet for some reason.
"Be careful Haley, Charlie is a married man you know." Brian glanced around as we all bursted into fits of laughter. Mick just sat silently in the loveseat, dreaming in the distance with far away eyes.
"You guys don't know how to have a little fun!" Haley pouted playfully, and it seemed as if she knew something we didn't.
"Honey, we've showed you the most fun you'll ever have." Charlie smirked sweetly, pecking her cheek lightly.
"Oh, get a room!" Brian retorted, seeing their intense bedroom eyes. I stood from the plush carpet feeling it beneath my feet. I went to go sit on Mick's lap as Haley grabbed Charlie's hand leading him back into the bedroom.
"By the way babes, I call dibs on this room!" Her voice echoed from the small corridor. I messed with the back of Mick's head, examining every little strand of glistening brown hair.
"What's up?" I spoke lightly to him, curiosity eating me alive. Keith glanced over at Mick suspiciously, then at me.
"Has he not said anything to you yet?" Keith butted in as Mick's mouth tinted cherry pick from biting his lip down so harshly.
"Tell me what exactly?" I grew nervous, looking at both of them worriedly. Mick shook his shaggy head.
"No, it's nothing. It's fine." He replied, trying to reassure me but his attempt failed. I stood from his lap, and waited expecting some kind of explanation.
"You've been awfully moody lately. If it's because of Keith-" I crossed my arms as I was interrupted.
"Olivia." Keith paused me as he sat Indian style on the floor, looking up from his guitar. "We go on tour in two days." I looked over at Mick in the corner, appearing as though he just didn't care anymore as a lull dawned over the whole room. Bill and Brian's eyes wandered around innocently. My expression changed dramatically as I tried not to let my anger get the best of me.
"And no one thought to tell me this? No one thought it was important enough?"
"Liv-" Mick gave up. He had no excuses.
"I just, I don't understand." Tears rolled down my cheeks as Mick came to wrap me in his arms. I glanced up at him teary eyed. "Am I not important to you?"
"I never said that. You're the most important thing. And I guess that's why I just couldn't find the strength to tell you." He kissed my head lightly, resting his chin on top of it.
"It's not as bad as you think. Trust me." Brian tried to comfort me as he relaxed next to Keith on the floor by the fireplace. "It'll only be a few weeks at most." Keith nodded in agreement. It was hard to hear because up until then I'd spent what felt like every waking moment with Mick. I guess all good dreams must come to an end.
"Yeah, don't worry too much, Liv." Mick rubbed my back gently. "And I'm sorry. I should've told you, but it was more difficult than you'll ever know." I released from his embrace and turned to face them.
"Well- well, you guys just hurry back." I smiled while sniffling and stuttering. I really didn't want to be crying in that moment, or to appear weak and helpless in any way but it was too late for that. I didn't understand how they could act so nonchalant about this. Later that night, Mick decided to head back to his home sweet home in Laurel Canyon to pack, although he pretty much lived out of a suitcase. He brought Keith along with him and I knew exactly why. He didn't need help packing, hell, all he needed was some clothes. He just didn't want me to be alone in the same room as Keith.
I leaned back into the sofa in between Brian and Bill, who were still fiddling around with guitars. I put my head on Brian's shoulder, admiring the extravagance of his big maroon colored hat. I'd always liked their sense of style, all of them. Especially Keith's snake skin boots and all of Mick's white peasant blouses which I desperately wanted to steal and strut around in.
"What am I going to do without you all for the next few weeks?" I mumbled to myself, but Brian picked up on my words glancing down at me.
"You'll have fun. No one's tying you down." Brian chuckled a little bit, his shoulders wriggling up and down.
"Very funny." I smiled at him playfully while picking my head up.
"And you won't worry about us. Promise?" I shook my head in agreement, locking my pinky with his. I could feel a slight smile creeping up on my lips. "Maybe go see Gram and Chris, you know? One of those cats. I heard you have relations with them." He looked down at his guitar, picking at the strings absentmindedly.
"Yeah, maybe I will." I didn't wanna mope around while they were gone. I wanted them to see I could hack it without their presence. Although the sound of my voice was traced with worry for them- mostly Mick, I was going to make the best of it.