Chapter Nineteen

"You know what, we should get real jobs." I suggested while waving a spoon around in my hand from the vanilla ice cream I'd been eating. "Maybe somewhere on the Strip." I added, going in for another bite. When Haley first came to Laurel Canyon, her parents left her with a big sum of cash. She'd only been here a little over a year, but the money was nearly half gone.
"Ooh, yeah! It can't be some boring, nine to five kinda thing though." Haley plopped her hands onto the fluffy white blankets covering my mattress.
"When is it ever like that on the Sunset Strip?" We giggled and snuck back under the covers. It had already been one long week since the boys left on tour, and all we'd done was sit around and watch old films. Mick had written me one brief letter, but it wasn't very exciting. It was mostly filled with his cursing at the fact that their jet didn't meet his expectations. He could act like such a child sometimes, and it made me laugh at how ridiculous it was. The shortness of the letter almost worried me though, because Brian's voice still rung clear in my head telling me that everything was handled. I tried my best to trust him, although I was wavering. All the while also trying to do as I promised him and not worry. Then I remembered how he suggested that I go see my old pals, Gram and Chris from the Flying Burrito Brothers.
"Oh! I know what we can do! Let's go see Gram and Chris! They're always on the Strip, and we can find jobs while we're at it." I acted as if I'd just come up with the greatest plan in the world.
"Let's do it." Haley and I finally found the motivation to get out of bed and doll ourselves up. The Sunset Strip was always alive at every hour of the day, and we never looked anything less than fantastic when walking it. I decided to call Gram's little apartment that he had in Los Angeles in hopes he'd pick up.
"Hello?" A voice answered on the other line.
"Gram! It's Olivia!" My joyful tone filled the whole room.
"Well, isn't this a surprise. I thought you'd be too busy for little old me." He chuckled with that southern accent of his.
"What makes you think that?" I questioned, smiling through the phone.
"You've been hanging out with the big leagues- The Rolling Stones." I could hear the elation in his voice. "I don't doubt they've been flying you out everywhere, buying you clothes, and treating you like a princess. Haven't they?" I laughed almost hysterically at his words.
"Oh Gram, you really don't know a lot about these guys." I let out a dramatic sigh. "Anyways, I was thinking Haley and I could come see you and Chris. It'll be like old times."
"Love to. Just come by the apartment. We'll be here."

-

I saw the lofty apartment building, and all the good memories came flooding back. Haley and I raced up to their door on the 6th floor, completely out of breath. We knocked lightly on the door looking as if we just wrestled a wild animal. Chris opened it, and was astonished at what he saw.
"What're you guys doing here?" His puzzled expression made me laugh.
"What? Are you not happy to see us?" Haley piped up, locking arms with me.
"No, no, I am. It's just, I thought you had better things to do with the Stones." He laughed slightly while glancing towards the ground.
"Don't be like that Chris! We're here now." I sounded all too cheery, but I didn't care. "Are you gonna let us in or not? I was thinking we could walk the Strip." I could hear Gram humming a country tune from inside the apartment.
"Sounds good." Chris agreed and let us in. I rushed over to Gram, who was like the big brother I never had.
"You guys are here!" He exclaimed, taking both of us in for a group hug. "How are y'all? How's Mick and the gang?" Gram threw questions at us as if we hadn't seen him in years. As he interrogated me, my heart dropped and I began to feel guilty. I didn't really know how Mick was doing, and I didn't even want to think about what I'd been putting him through.
"Well, uh, they're on tour. As of a week ago." I replied, melancholy traced in my words.
"Oh, I see." Gram paused a moment. "Then, let's go have some fun."
We strutted out onto the Sunset Strip, stopping at every shop that caught our attention. We went inside this one pretty little vintage shop full of trinkets. It didn't seem like it got much business, so it was like a hidden treasure in the heart of the Sunset Strip. Chris picked up a white feather boa from a random box and started to wrap it around his neck playfully.
"This is definitely your style, Olivia." Chris laughed handing it to me.
"Let's see." I grinned widely while looking at myself in this beautiful wooden full body mirror in the corner of the shop.
"Yes!" Haley picked up another deep red boa and wrapped it around her arms gracefully. "Am I a glamorous 1920s movie star yet?" Gram and I giggled at her while clapping funnily.
"Of course my darling!" I leaned my head against her shoulder, smiling and taking in the beauty of the shop. Eventually, we all waltzed back out into the hectic little world that was the Sunset Strip. Haley spotted this big modern record store right across the street, and she grabbed my hand leading me towards it. I stared back at Gram and Chris who followed behind at a leisurely pace. I glared through the window, eyeing my favorite records and seeing the Stones 'Beggars Banquet' album right in the front. I realized I didn't own it, and slammed through the doors to snatch it. Haley followed me, never questioning my motives. The store was anything but boring. It's originality was refreshing, and colors popped out at you from everywhere. I ran my fingers over the album cover, admiring it.
"I'm buying it." I stated, putting it underneath my arm and skipping over to the store clerk. She took it from my fingertips and smiled politely.
"This is one of my favorites. Big fan of the Stones, huh?" She looked up at me smirking slightly.
"Oh, she's the biggest!" Haley butted in while nodding her head before I had a chance to say anything. We giggled, feeling as though we were special because we knew something no one else did. The clerk rung me up, and as she handed the record back to me I noticed a dusty sign sitting on the counter that read, 'Now hiring.' I took this as the perfect opportunity to ask about a job, just as Gram and Chris made their way back to us.
"You're still hiring right?" I asked before heading back onto the Strip.
"Yes. We have plenty spots open." She replied enthusiastically. "I could go get my manager really quick if you'd like. It doesn't take much to get a job here. We're kinda desperate." The lady lowered her voice while a chuckle escaped her lips. The big boss man asked Haley and I a few questions, all in about 10 minutes. He was dressed quite fancily, in a sort of striped blazer and dress pants.
"So, I think those are all of the questions I have." The man put his hands together. I noticed his bold, bright name tag, you couldn't miss it. His name was Al. "When can you ladies start?" I gave Haley an excited look with my then gleaming eyes.
"How about tomorrow?" Haley's voice was confident and sweet all at the same time. We pranced out joyfully, feeling accomplished. I hadn't even noticed Gram and Chris dragging behind us as I was too blinded by my own sense of success. I knew it was going to feel great working in a record store, surrounded by all of my favorite people's music. I would also have something to show for Mick's absence. And he thought I just couldn't make it without him!