Chapter Twenty Three

"Come back inside." Brian finally spoke, almost pleading with his sleepy eyes. "It's too cold out here, come inside where it's warmer." I shakily stood to my feet, wiping dirt my now drenched dress. Keith held out his hand quickly, and I clutched onto his many rings.
"Listen," Brian began to speak softly, "I'm not going to apologize because you think it's your fault." He smiled at me endearingly while we all trudged through the misty garden. "I will say that we are all idiots. Mick being the biggest one." We both chuckled, arm in arm.
"Well, you've all got some hot heads on your shoulders, too." I commented, glancing at the freshly cut blades of grass.
"Hey!" Keith stopped in his tracks. "Not all of us have those issues." He laughed lightly as I realized he was right. Where Mick would get very angry and frustrated, Keith knew how to keep his cool. Unless something really rattled him. Still, they all managed to make my trippy teenage heart skip a beat, although Mick had won it indefinitely. I shook my head at him and giggled slightly, while my wavy hair flopped around my face. We waltzed back in through the back door to find Mick and Reyna screaming each other's ears off. She was nearly clawing away at his unamused face. Seeing this, Brian decided to be the super hero stepping in front of Keith and I, making sure we waited at the door. I winced at the sight of Bri hurriedly peeling Reyna off of Mick's still body.
"What's their deal Keith?" I interrogated, needing an answer to a question I know Mick wouldn't give me.
"They've got some history." He cleared his raspy throat, eyeing the strangely funny situation before us. "It didn't end too well between them."
"Obviously." I whispered to myself. It had been apparent that they had some kind of relationship in the past, but I wasn't going to question it for fear of what I might find out. You could tell by their tone, and just the vicious way they stared at each other. Reyna finally found some peace, and her expensive high heels clicked right out of the front door. Mick kind of glared at me embarrassingly, his mouth slightly ajar, until he decided to storm off- thunder and all. As he stomped past Keith and I, the electricity from his body ran through mine, hitting us like a train going at lightning speed. I hopelessly sighed, and rubbed my eyes in silent frustration. Keith grabbed my hand and held it loosely, leading me to the couch where we plopped down next to an exhausted Brian. He appeared drained, probably from trying to pry Reyna's lanky arms from Mick's.
"It's just like you said, we're all hot heads." Bri piped up, holding his face in his palm.
"You guys," I paused for a short moment and chuckled. "You guys just make my life all the more interesting."
"Good or bad?" Keith's tone let me know he was genuinely curious.
"Both. There are times where everything is really, really good. Then there are the other times. The times where I'm scared, and confused, and don't know what to expect." I glanced at the both of them, who's eyes were already locked on mine. "There's never a dull moment, I'm always on edge." I stared into the empty spaces around the room, just thinking.
"Well, we are rock stars, baby." He replied rather seriously.
"It's comes with the look. It's our persona." Brian added, laughing very matter of factly.
"So things aren't going to get easier, are they?" I glanced off again, losing my focus.
"With Mick, things will never be easy. That's just him." Brian leaned his head back, while I watched his eyes travel along the lofty ceiling. I was beginning to feel helpless- the one thing I never wanted to feel. I'd been with so many rock n' roll men, nothing ever too serious, but it never felt like being with the Rolling Stones. They were a beautifully, musical force of nature. I was just unsure if I could handle it anymore. It was as if I was so stressed, I was calm. Not the peaceful calm, it was more of a calm before the storm sort of feeling. Mick and I both had some explaining to do. Suddenly, as my train of thought wandered off the tracks, Charlie, Haley, and Bill shuffled from the kitchen into the living room with expressions of expectancy.
"Where's the food? We've been sitting in the kitchen for like, an hour listening to Reyna scream." Haley chuckled while giving Charlie major puppy dog eyes. That was her specialty, and also his weakness. I envied them to say the least. I didn't understand how their relationship could remain so peaceful, while Mick and I's hectic one crumbled to the cold, hard ground. Especially since Charlie was married, and his wife, Shirley probably spent her days aching for his touch. He hadn't written to her in a while, leaving her to wonder just what he was up to in his dreamy rock star life, the life that didn't include her. It must've torn her poor little heart to pieces. He was so busy loving Haley that his mind was occupied by thoughts of her. The thing about Charlie is, that no matter how dark and mysterious his eyes were, you could read them easily.
"Is everything alright?" Charlie spoke up, seeing as though we stayed silent.
"Just dandy." Bri replied, never looking away from the ceiling. I glanced at Haley, who had a knack for knowing when there was a problem.
"I'm going to find Mick, right now." She unintentionally stomped her foot down, while using a stern tone to let us know she meant business. "We are going to talk about whatever the hell is wrong here." Charlie attempted to grab her forearm, but it slipped from his fingers as she continued to stomp across the extensive living room floor, and right through the back door. The butterscotch sun melted into the horizon as we patiently awaited their arrival. It illuminated the whole kingdom, as if trying to give us some kind of hope. Minutes later, Haley dashed through the door with Mick's wrist in her hand firmly.
"Found Jagger outside near the statues. Now talk about whatever you guys need to talk about, and make up!" She released her grip from Mick, and tightened it around Charlie instead. I glanced around uncertainly, and wrapped my bare arms around myself for comfort. Brian, Keith, and Bill began to stand, but Mick stopped them. Their heads all popped up enthusiastically.
"Brian. Tell me what really happened between you and Olivia, not just your version of the story." Mick's voice was harsh as they both stood before me, while I sat paralyzed on the sinking sofa.
"I gave her acid, we kissed, and that's the end of it." Bri turned around, carelessly trotting away until Mick grabbed his shoulder. His body flung around, and I saw a fist fly right through the air. I was unsure of who swung first, it all happened too quickly. All I knew was that seconds later, they were rolling around on the floor, roughing each other up. I rushed down to my knees, still carefully trying to avoid getting hurt by one of them.
"Stop! Stop it!" My hands desperately tried to pry Mick off from on top of Brian's torso. Bill and Keith rushed back in the room, once they heard the rumbling and tumbling of furniture, and of glass shattering. They attempted to pull him away as well, but it was no use as he just shrugged them off. I sobbed and begged and kept tugging on Mick until I'd had enough. I was through with trying to keep up with him, and always falling behind.
"Stop, Mick!" I shrieked in between my sobs, one last time. "It's over! We're through." Their motions suddenly slowed at my words. Mick stood from Brian's body, and looked at me pathetically. His face was nearly soaked in the hot red liquid that could either tear people apart, or bring them together.
"You don't mean that." He clutched onto my fingers, trying to make eye contact, but I wouldn't give in.
"I mean it Mick. Let go of my hands."
"Olivia, I-"
"Let go." My voice was getting more shallow with every heartbreaking word. "We're done." I sniffled and wiped tears from my cherry tinted cheeks as Mick began to ease his grip. Bri uneasily propped himself up on his elbows, and gave Mick a deadly glare.
"Leave. I don't care where you go, just get out." Brian wobbled to his feet, trying to steady himself.
"Where do you expect me to go?" Mick's voice quieted as he watched me stifle towards Haley.
"You'll figure it out. You're Mick Jagger. I'm sure there are plenty of little girls who'd love to take you in." Keith butted in, planting himself next to Brian.
"I don't fucking care about other little girls. I want to stay here, with my girl." His voice raised, almost startling me, but I could never be scared by him.
"She's not yours anymore, mate." Keith raised his voice as well, taking a step forward, closer to his face.
"And I'm sure your jumping with joy. You've wanted her all along." He screamed, as if in competition. Keith raised his hand, ready to throw Mick to the hard wood floor, but Brian held him back. Mick decided to rush over to me, and try to plead once more. His eyes were so lost, and I didn't want to pity him.
"Olivia." I stayed silent in my nervous state, as Haley just held me in her arms.
"Leave her alone. She doesn't want you." Keith spewed his words out like poison, all the while giving me reassuring looks.
"Liv!" Mick ignored his comment, as Bri cut him off.
"Get the hell out of my house." he yelled one last time, sending Mick to give me another glossy eyed glare that I was forced to resist. I finally looked him right in the eye, letting him know that I knew what I wanted, and I was serious. With that, he leisurely strolled out of the front entrance acting as if he didn't care. There was a numbing lull throughout the whole room, until I eventually broke down. I might've been blue, but deep down I knew I was gonna be alright, in the end at least. For now, I was just going to cry until the tears stopped coming. Keith and Brian came to the rescue, hugging me and letting me know they supported me. These men were some of the greatest friends I ever had, even with all their faults.
"I'm so tired. I just need to sleep." I sobbed, squeezing Haley's hand.
"You can have my room." Brian nodded his head in the direction it was upstairs. "First door on the left. Don't mind the clutter, dear." He rubbed my shoulder. Haley and I slowly trudged up the wide staircase, admiring every detail. She pushed open the wooden door, and revealed an elegantly messy room. The fuzzy bear rug felt soft beneath my toes, and I could've just passed out right there on top of it. Papers were strewn everywhere, but I didn't mind as I noticed his enormous bed covered in more of those cozy furs. I flung myself onto it, smelling the Egyptian cotton. Haley took it upon herself to open the two big transparent glass doors on the other side of the room. Wind blew right into her face as she turned the brass door handles. She glided gracefully onto the balcony, staring out into the wooded paradise.
"Trouble in Shangri La." I heard her sigh, as she waltzed back in and closed the balcony doors. "Are you gonna be alright up here? It's awfully big, I don't want you getting lonely all by yourself." Haley plopped down next to me, smiling softly.
"I'm fine, Haley." I glanced out of the window, seeing the darkening clouds, and wondering about Mick. "Go be with Charlie. You know you want to." I grinned back at her widely, as she took her time skipping out of the doorway.

-

What felt like hours later, I was awoken by a hand grazing my forehead. My eyes fluttered open to see Keith, playing with my messy fringe. The sun was just barely rising, and the sky still had a dark hue. I smiled up at his woozy face anyway.
"What time is it?" I questioned, stretching my arms around him gently.
"Too early. Go back to sleep, flower." He continued to play with my wavy mess of hair.
"Hm, flower." I repeated, whispering lowly.
"Flower, because you remind me of one." Keith ran his thumb up and down my arm sensually. "Soft and delicate." He placed his lips against my hot skin.
"Keith, you know I'm not in a good place right now, with Mick and everything. I don't think I'm ready for, uh-"
"I get it. You're not ready for me yet." He turned his head away from me slowly. "But just know, I'll be here when you are." Keith swung his legs off the side of the bed, placing his two feet on the floor and stumbling towards the door.
"Hey," I stopped him from moving any further. "Thank you." His head swung around to look at me.
"For what, Liv?"
"A lot of things." I chuckled, and sunk back into the big fluffy blankets. Through the corner of my eye, I noticed his lips curl into a wide smile. He left me without another word.

-

The telephone rang so loudly, I thought my eardrums would burst. Brian raced to answer it. We all automatically knew who it was, hearing Reyna's yappy voice on the other end of the line. My ears perked up when I heard her faintly mention Mick. I tried my best not to seem so concerned, although all eyes were on me. Bri came back into the living area, clasping his hands together.
"Well, that was Reyna." I could see Bill roll his eyes at Brian's words. "If any of you care, Mick went knocking on her door last night, and she's not happy about it." He glanced at me for an especially long time, somehow seeing the curiosity I tried so hard to hide. He continued to walk up the staircase, in that mighty way of his. I decided to remove myself from the lovely couch I'd planted myself on for most of the day, and trotted to the colossal bathroom to freshen up. It could've been a whole other house. I twisted the shimmering glass door knob, to see Keith struggling to hold himself up. There was needle in his hand, and a thin piece of cloth tied around his arm tightly. I stared at him, intrigued as he grabbed my hand.
"Close the door." He instructed, while carefully removing the needle from his arm. I turned around, shutting the door and locking it. "Do you want to try some?" I glared at him hesitantly, almost stuttering as I tried to form words. I'd never done heroin before, but then again, I hadn't done a lot of things. He paused a moment before pulling me closer to him. "It's alright, I just want you to feel good." He breathed into my ear from behind, as he slowly inserted the needle into my skin. It stung, but almost pleasurably. My back pushed against his chest as he pulled the needle back out. Soon, we were both feeling good. Real good.