| One || Hearing Damage |

"Hold the door, please!" I hollered to Matthew as I scrambled towards the band room with my flute case in one hand and my jug in the other

       Matthew flashed me a devious grin before closing the door behind him. You've got to be kidding me. I increased my pace, despite my drawstring bag and backpack both slipping off my shoulders.

Luckily, Mi Yun emerged and held the door open for me. Thank God. I sent my friend a grateful look while her gazed locked on the stocky boy with a blushing problem.

"You think you're cute, don't you?" Mi Yun narrowed her eyes at him, and he stuck his tongue out at us. I entered the band room.

"Grow up!" I shrieked while placing my things down. I pulled down my pencil skirt and tugged on my shirt before fluffing up my hair.

Band boys were so immature. I couldn't even.

"Forgetting someone?" Mi Yun approached me, and I opened my arms.

"Mimi!" I met her halfway, and we engulfed each other in a hug. Mi Yun's trademark bangles jiggled next to my ear while her rings pressed into my back. "It's so great to see you."

We pulled away and examined each other. She looked cuter than I remembered. Mi Yun redid her brown highlights, and the smoky eye makeup definitely complimented her fair skin.

"Estella. Mimi," someone else called out to us, and we both peered back to catch a glimpse of the person.

The familiar black cardigan with the matching headdress gave her away, and I knew it was my girl. "Sadaf!" Mi Yun and I greeted as she made her way over.

The three of us pulled one another into a group hug, and I squeezed my girls close because we hardly ever saw each other over the summers. Mi Yun was always in Korea, and Sadaf was always in Iran.

Me? Plain old U.S. As if I hadn't lived here my whole life.

When we parted, we entered the storage room in search of our little corner, which was a small space near the flute shelves.

"How was Iran, Sadaf?" I asked once we placed our things down. We stood in a circle, and we were ready for the details on one another's summers.

Sadaf took a second to think, and Mi Yun winced. "That bad?"

"No," she said with a finger on her chin. "It was like all the other summers. Visiting family in Tehran. Going to mosque. I also went to the Isfahan Music Museum a couple times, but I mostly stayed indoors. I enjoyed the street food though."

"I've always wanted to try street food," I said.

Creek Rowe didn't have street food. The closest experience I could even compare to eating "street food" was trying out the different samples at Sam's Club or Farmers Market. That was it, and that wasn't even the "street."