| Twenty-Seven || Distractions and True Americans |

"Is Jax still ignoring you?" Mi Yun asked while re-applying lip gloss

        The three of us occupied Sadaf's room—Sadaf and I on the floor and Mi Yun to the mirror.

        "Him ignoring me would require me looking for him and me caring," I said. "And I don't care." I held my chin up high while Mi Yun and Sadaf sent me knowing looks. I sighed. "Okay, maybe I do care, but I don't want to."

        Mi Yun moved closer to us and sat on the bed. "Do you still like Brice?"

        "Yes," I answered.

        "But you like Jax," Sadaf said.

        I pouted and averted my gaze. "Yes." Mi Yun sent me one of those looks where people didn't refute you, but you knew they had doubts. "What is it, Mimi?"

        Mi Yun raised her hands up. "Nothing. It's just that you've been talking about Jax a lot lately. I've barely heard Brice's name."

        I frowned. "Because unlike Jax, Brice isn't being a jerk."

        Brice was actually talking to me, and we had even gone on a couple more dates. While this was happening, Jax continued to shut me out, and I didn't even try anymore. I wasn't going to chase some boy. He was the one who pulled away, so if things were going to get better between us, he had to approach me.

        "I'm not talking about Jax because I want to," I said. "I'm talking about Jax because I need to. He's so annoying." I released a frustrated groan. "He tells me he's interested in me one night, then acts like a total a-hole the next. Then he calls me to talk, only to tell me we can't be together. Then he kisses me and still tells me we can't be together. Who does that?"

        "Obviously, Jax Velasco," Sadaf replied. "You know what, let's add some music to loosen you up."

        "K-Pop, please," I told her as she made her way to her stereo.

        "BTS?" she asked. "I know they're your favorite K-Pop group."

        "Yes," I said with an exhausted sigh.

        I needed some BTS right now. Anything to get my mind off Jax. Not long after plugging in her phone, "Blood, Sweat and Tears" started playing.

        "Yass." Mi Yun jumped off the bed. "'Not Today' next."

        "I'll let the playlist run," Sadaf said while returning to the floor. "It'll play eventually."

        As the song progressed, we began to sing along. Even though Mi Yun was the only one who spoke Korean fluently, Sadaf and I watched enough K-dramas and listened to enough K-Pop to learn some words and phrases. The rest of the lyrics that we didn't know, we had listened to the songs enough times to go along, even if we may have been botching the pronunciations.