| Fourteen || Confrontations About the Surface |

"Let's take a breather

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Let's take a breather." Justin clapped his hands, and all of us sighed in relief. "Ten-minute break. Chop, chop. Let's go."

Finally.

        Brice, Oliver and I trudged to our usual spot in the corner of the studio. "Yo, Justin's tryna kill us," Oliver said once we reached our spot, and the three of us were quick to take huge gulps from our water bottles. "That bald-headed guy has it in for us," he added after coming up for air.

        "Once again," I said, "it's a buzz-cut."

        "Still no hair," Oliver said.

        I rolled my eyes while Brice chuckled. "You guys are idiots."

        "I'm gonna get more water." Oliver was already backtracking to the exit. "Who knows when Justin will give us another break?"

True.

        I usually loved the hard work and fast pace of practice, but today, Justin was going extra hard. I was grateful that my muscles were getting a reprieve, and I had to talk to Brice, anyway.

        "Abrams," I started with a tap to his arm, "can I ask you something?"

        "Shoot, Velasco," he said. "What is it?"

        I hesitated because deep down, I knew I had no right to ask, but it was Brice. I had to know where his head was at.

        "What are your intentions with Estella?" I asked.

        She had been sitting with us ever since that debacle with her friends. Although, it didn't feel like she sat with us since all of her focus was on Brice. He was always rubbing her back and nudging her and flirting with her and saying all the things she wanted to hear.

        I bet she liked hearing them, but were they authentic?

        That was what I was here to find out.

        Brice watched me carefully. "Why do you care, Velasco?" He smirked. "Do you like her?"

        The muscles in my face stiffened. "I have a girlfriend."

        "A girlfriend you hardly talk about," Brice said. "I forgot you had a girlfriend until you just mentioned it."

        "This isn't about Ximena. It's about Estella."

        Estella really liked Brice, which was disappointing because I didn't trust Brice to be the guy she needed.

        "So, what is it?" I asked. "Where's your head at with her?"

        Brice placed the tip of his water bottle into his mouth as he thought about it. I didn't like that. If he was really into her, he shouldn't have to think about it.