| Nineteen || Conflict Resolution and Trouble in Paradise |

"You look happy," Daddy said while we sat at the table eating cereal

"You look happy," Daddy said while we sat at the table eating cereal. "What's going on, Bunny?"

I giggled. "Can't I be happy?" I swirled my spoon in the bowl. "Do I need a reason to be happy?"

"Everyone needs a reason to be happy," he said. "It's not a state that just exists without any stimulus or effort."

I sent him a look. "You've been happy lately."

Recently, Daddy was all smiles. He was free with money and compliments. He wasn't on my case too much. It was nice but suspicious.

"I know," he agreed, "and there's a reason."

"What's the reason?" I put my spoon down and planted my elbows onto the table.

Daddy smiled. "I met someone."

I knew it. All those rendezvous and late-night calls. It all made sense.

"Who's the lucky lady?"

He drank some of his cranberry juice before responding. "Her name is Janice. She owns a local store, and I'm one of her loyal customers."

"I'm sure you're more than that," I said with a wink.

He rolled his eyes with his smile intact. "We've been talking and going on dates, and I really like her." His expression became serious. "Estella, I think I'm ready."

"Ready for what?"

"I think I'm ready to date again, like seriously dating," he said. "After your mother, it never interested me. But now, I'm ready. I'm ready to love again."

I touched my heart. "Daddy." I moved around the table to give him a hug before returning to my spot. "That's so sweet."

Daddy watched me with a brow perked. "Are you sure you're okay with this, Estella? I mean, Janice and no other woman can ever replace your mother, so you don't have to worry about that. It's okay if you feel a certain way at first. That's normal and—"

"Daddy," I cut him off, "I'll be fine. I think it's a great idea. Being alone for so long isn't good for you, and it'll be nice to have your attention on someone else."

He pointed his spoon at me. "I'm still your father, and I'll still act like one."

I nodded. "But you're also human. Humans need love, too."

"Mmm-hmm." He resumed eating his cereal. "You better not be getting too much love." I bit my lip. "Smiling as if there's a boy involved. I don't trust boys."

He would like Jax.

Jax seemed like the guy you could introduce to your parents, and they would become fond of him instantly. He was intelligent. He was kind, and he was honest. He withheld private information, but once he opened up, he spoke the truth.