| Twenty-One || Two Boys and Uncertainty |

I tried talking to Brice today in the hallway, but he shut me out

I tried talking to Brice today in the hallway, but he shut me out. He told me that it wasn't the right time, and he walked away.

Thanksgiving break was over, and he was still being weird. If there was anyone who should have been avoiding someone, it was me. He was the one who was a jerk. What a waste because he could have been spending some alone time with me.

Daddy and Janice went on a cruise to the Bahamas for four days, so I had the house all to myself starting today.

After my Key club meeting, I waited for Jax at the vending machine. At lunch, he told me to wait for him, and I sat next to him at lunch. Brice didn't seem to mind since he barely spoke to me.

"Hey." Jax came into my line of vision, and I smiled. "You okay? That tension between you and Brice..."

I groaned. "I know." He tilted his head and examined my hair. "What?"

"Nice braids," he said. "I meant to point it out earlier at lunch, but the whole Brice thing was too uncomfortable. Did you get them done over break?"

I nodded. "I needed a change. I switched my extensions out for box braids."

"Nice," he said. "I like it. Wait, you wore extensions?"

"Duh," I said. "You think my hair was that long?"

"It looked real."

"It's supposed to," I said. "Only cheap extensions look fake."

Jax frowned. "Not everyone has money for authentic extensions, Estella. It's not a matter of wanting to look tacky. Sometimes, it's a matter of finances."

He had a point. "Thank you for reminding me of that," I said. "And also, thank you for not feeling entitled to touch my hair."

He raised a brow. "Why would I do that?"

"You'd be amazed by how many people have touched my hair so far."

Then again, it was mostly girls who did it.

"Well, that's rude," Jax said. "I sure as hell wouldn't want someone running their fingers through my hair."

"Oh, really?" I moved closer with my gaze locking in on his. "What if you're making out? What then?"

He ran his thumb along his bottom lip. "That's a different story." His voice was lower, and it was kind of sexy. He continued to stare at me. "Estella, can we talk?"

"About?"

I knew what he was referring to, but I wanted to know what he was going to say.

"The kiss," he said. "Well, the almost kiss. What do you think?"

Jax was amazing. He was an attractive guy. He was intelligent, kind, kind of mysterious but he was opening up. I was comfortable around him, but at the same time, he provoked certain feelings out of me. No one made me feel the way Jax did.