| Thirty || Friendships and Going Under |

"So, it's official," Oliver said with a grin

"So, it's official," Oliver said with a grin. "You and Estella are finally dating."

        My jaw tensed, but I fought back the frown that wanted to take over my face. Brice, Oliver and I were walking up the stairs and into the commons area after another grueling practice for company. This time, the three of us took a quick shower before leaving. Practice was that intense.

        Brice chuckled. "Yeah. She said 'yes' Saturday night."

        I frowned this time. That was the night we kissed. She agreed to be his girlfriend right after. There was a tight feeling in my chest, and all I wanted to do was find her and tell her to break up with him, but I knew that would be selfish. I couldn't bring myself to fully give into my feelings and commit to her, so I had no right stopping her from being with someone who would.

        That didn't make it hurt any less.

        We stopped near the vending machine, and I looked around, hoping to catch sight of Estella.

        "Velasco," Brice said, getting my attention. "Estella and I are going to the beach. You should come."

        "That third wheel status, though," Oliver said with a smirk. I pointed a thumb at Oliver, agreeing with him.

        Brice sighed. "Don't do that. The three of us haven't hung out in a while, and it'll give you and Estella an opportunity to spend time together since things have been so tense."

        "Yeah." Oliver glimpsed my way. "Why is that shit still going on? Can't you two make up, already?"

        "It's not that big of a deal."

        It was. I missed her. All I wanted to do was be around her, hold her and kiss her. A couple months ago, I would have been disgusted by myself for having these thoughts. Especially about a girl I found annoying and juvenile.

        "If it's not, then come kick it with us," Brice said. "Drinks. Food. A beautiful scenery. Spending time with friends. What could be better?"

        "Well," Oliver said with his palms together, "while you guys figure this out, I'm gonna head out and meet up with Tyler at the library."

        "Okay," Brice said. "See you, man."

        "Bye," I said while he turned to walk away with a wave.

        Brice and I turned to each other. "Come on, Velasco."

        "Why do you care?"

        He shrugged. "Because. This beef between you and Estella is really affecting her."

        My expression relaxed. I didn't want to hurt her. That was exactly why she was better off without me. I came with too much baggage. Baggage that went beyond the fact that my father killed her mother.