| Eighteen || Open Fuck Buddies |

I sprayed my best cologne on and stood back to examine my look in the mirror

I sprayed my best cologne on and stood back to examine my look in the mirror. I didn't know why I was doing it. Ximena wouldn't care, and why did I care? My father, on the other hand, convinced me to dress up since it was my first time seeing Ximena in a couple of months.

He was fond of her.

That made one of us.

Ximena wasn't bad, but I wasn't into this. I didn't feel like dressing up for nothing.

"Iago." My father entered my room with a huge grin on his face. He didn't reek of liquor, which was rare. "Aquì tienes." He handed me a wad of cash. "In case you wanna spoil your girl."

"Papa," I said, "I don't know if that'll be necessary."

"Take it, Iago." He smirked. "You never know."

"Gracias," I said with a nod while pocketing the money.

I could use the gas money.

"Have fun, boy." He patted my back before heading out, and I watched my father.

He was giving me money and being friendly. Today must have been a good day.

I grabbed everything I needed but stopped when I saw my big Beats headphones on the dresser. I always wore it around my neck, even when I had the smaller Beats headphones. It didn't match my outfit but screw it. I took the headphones and placed it around my neck.

Then I was out the door.

A couple minutes later, Ximena walked over to Verda with her own headphones in and gum in her mouth.

She opened the door to Verda and got settled in. "Jax."

"Ximena." I pulled out of the packed driveway, and I began driving to God-knows-where.

Ximena didn't try kissing me. She just popped a second gum in and planted her feet on my dashboard.

She glanced at the stereo. "You still like this music, I see."

Avenged Sevenfold was playing. "Yup," I said. "Things been good?"

She shrugged. "Ana got a new boyfriend."

"Again?"

Ximena nodded. "I've lost count."

Ana and Ximena had a decent mother-daughter relationship, but damn. That woman went through men. No wonder Ximena avoided her sometimes because she was always getting her heart broken.

"Is this one a decent guy, at least?"

"Who knows?" she said while waving it off. "I don't even give a damn anymore. She makes the same mistakes over and over again, and it's getting old."